Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New pool filled and ready?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool filled and ready?

Hello. I just got home from vacation and my pool is up and "ready". The filter is running and everything looks good. I have my TFTest kit in a box ready to open. Should I test my water now just to see what my readings are?

My installer put 3, 3" pucks in my chlorinator for me.

Any advice is welcomed, this is all new to me.
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool filled and ready?

The first thing to do is to test PH, TA, and CH. For CH, just check that it isn't very high. For PH and TA make sure both are in the recommended range. If the PH is a little low (7.2 to 7.4) that is alright for now.

Then it is time to go to Pool School and do a little reading (unless you already have been there ).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. You might as well test everything but CYA, since there's no way it will show anything yet.

Make sure the pH is in the comfort zone, the FC shows something, and go swimming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi jimmerz,
    I just finished putting up my new (used/rebuilt by me) 21' with a deep center, so were close, with my calculations and using the pool calculater with my additions I'm somewhere about 12,750 gals +/- 400 gals.

Read up, and post a full set of test # using your best tool you have (the TF100 test kit)

First thing like jasonlion said, get the pH to 7.2-7.4 range.
    Use this in Pool School and the Pool Calculator:
    pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Get some CYA and use the pool calculator here:
    http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/

Figure how much CYA you need to get to 40ppm (my opinion to do, having a lot of sun and heat here in FL.)
    I'm at 50ppm.
    Put it in a sock and get pump running and hang over return.
    3-5 days it will show up in your test (if it's hot out)
    Go to pool CYA chart and look for chlorine level you need for 40 cya, use min # for now.
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

At 40ppm CYA, get 3ppm of chlorine in the pool and have some swimming fun for now.
    After you posts your test result we can help advise what's next!
    Enjoy...
    I going in my pool now this talk is getting to me!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I will get around to testing it tomorrow. Busy unpacking and running around from Vacation today! Thanks for the quick replies.

I grabbed some of those 3" chlorine pucks for my auto chlorinator, since that is what was already in there and I figured I would need some chlorine in my pool until I figure out how to do the BBB thingy...lol

My wife was freaked out about me putting Bleach in her pool, but I'm in charge not her

I did do a little vaccum and that was fun, there was a little dirt on bottom, probably from my builder? The water looks pretty clean, I just dropped in a thermometer so I will see what the temp looks like a little later.

I will post my results (If I can figure out that TF100 test kit, I never was very good at Chemistry), tomorrow.
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is what I have, Now how can I make this my Avatar? It keeps telling me I need to be between 0-6 Kib or 100 width x 100 Heighth? I have resized and tried everything, but I am unable to upload...

7. Back To Top    #7

You may need to changes the "quality" of the resized image to get the KB count down.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, here are my first test results. (I did do the CYA without re-reading this post, sorry Richard). As I did the CYA test I thought for sure I was doing something wrong, because I filled that tube up and was able to still see the black dot!

FC = 6.5
    CC = .5
    TC = 7
    TA = 110
    CH = 130

Chlorine reading in blue test kit was a 5
    PH was 6.8

I am running my filter and I have about 3, 3" pucks in the auto chlorinator...

Water looks good and clear right now, but my numbers aren't where they need to be huh?

9. Back To Top    #9

pH is too low. And the pucks will make it worse. You have some excess TA, so aeration may bring the pH up. If you're the impatient sort, a bit of borax will fix that. Let Pool Calculator crunch the numbers to get it to 7.2 or so.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is your avatar. I took some artistic license as the house in the back was too distracting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

it says 87 oz of Soda Ash, is that Baking Soda? And whether I use Borax or soda Ash what is the proper way of adding it to my pool?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    Here is your avatar. I took some artistic license as the house in the back was too distracting.
    Thanks Techguy, but I tried to use it and got the same response...it needs to be under 6 kib?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerz
    it says 87 oz of Soda Ash, is that Baking Soda? And whether I use Borax or soda Ash what is the proper way of adding it to my pool?
    No, they are quite different.

Maybe you ought to re-read this article: pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    No, they are quite different.

Maybe you ought to re-read this article: pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

Lol, ok. I got it. I think I might add the borax tomorrow or the next day. And after re-reading that article I now know how to add it. To be honest we've only had 1 full day of swimming in the pool so maybe a little more splashing will help? I also need to check and see what exactly I am putting in the chlorinator (di or tri, I don't know the difference) I'll read the box again.

I'm more of a hands on watch and learn kind of guy. I was confused completely about the TF test kit until I went and did it. It should get easier over time. I really think I will be completely using the bbb method next summer.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    Thanks Techguy, but I tried to use it and got the same response...it needs to be under 6 kib?
    I will reserve it and resend it with a file size less than 6k
    -- Guy --

16. Back To Top    #16

**** iPad spell checker... Reserve was meant to be re-save.
    -- Guy --

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm confused... Did you add the CYA yet? Has it all dissolved? Nice pool btw :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

18. Back To Top    #18

I have not added any cya yet. I thought using the 3" pucks would add the cya for me?

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, your pucks will add it. But you need about 30ppm in there now.
    Sun will eat your chlorine up fast, unless your putting in chlorine 3-4 times a day.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok I am going to WalMart and I will buy Borax (Simple Pool App) states I need 190oz of Borax. And I should also add 114oz of Stabilizer or 285oz of liquid stabilizer.

Any advice on how I need to add the stabilizer, or what exactly I should purchase?

I am currently using the HTH Super 3" Chlorinating Tablets (orange buckets)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-Super-3-C ... b/20434368

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast