Call me crazy.....

Flawed

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
But I'm getting ready to drop $200 on a pentair maxim 1.5 pump, sand filter, thru the wall skimmer, 24' solar cover, and assorted hoses, fittings, etc. all from a 'downed' 24' round pool.

should I do it or not??

what should I look for when I go to look at it??

If at all possible, get a two speed pump. A two speed can save you 50% of your electric usage for the pump.

You shouldn't ask us if you should have a pool :) around here the mindset is that everyone should have a pool! :goodjob:

OK, so the pentair got sold before I could get it. *bummer*
However, this is what I picked up yesterday:

sparco sf40 sand filter #150
swim pro sand filter #250 pound
Vari flo Valve
powerflo lx 1.hp pump w/strainer basket (no lid)
Thru wall skimmer w/ball outlet (no gasket)
(2) model 603 Type 'A" intex filters
26' round solar cover
(6) intex pump hoses w/clamps
A bag with various clamps, fittings, nozzles, covers for intex

The cost?? $140 bones (and about $20 in gas)
Pics?? Oh Yeah! We got Pics!!

Attachments

• Untitled - 1.jpg
    Untitled - 1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Untitled - 2.jpg
    Untitled - 2.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 222
  • Untitled - 3.jpg
    Untitled - 3.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 221
Quick questions:

should i use the hayward, or the sparco filter?
can I get a replacement sticker for the top valve?

Todays ToDo list:
make the foundation for the pump with pavers
get more HD hose
get the strainer lid
get the sand
install the skimmer
Hook this baby up!!

I'm just gonna run hose for this pool. It will be going away (probably) after this season. I've got my eye on a 27' already. (yes, the pool bug has bitten me)

Just got back from Recreonics here in Louisville, ky. If you need pool supplies, this is *the* place to go. Friendly, helpful staff. Above and beyond expectations.

Let the games begin!!

On a side note: the pump is wrong isn't it?? Isn't that port supposed to point upward?? I reckon we'll start with disassembling the pump and getting the strainer put on right. Then I'm going to cut the liner and get the skimmer and return port mounted. I'm leaving the stock intex outlets, going to do something 'special' with them later. I've got about eight or nine hours of daylight. I want to start the chem stuff tonight. I'm using the sparco #150 tank, btw. Well, I'm off! Wish me luck!!

Attachments

• DSC_8889.JPG
    DSC_8889.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_8890.JPG
    DSC_8890.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 193
My Hayward pump is just like that one. The strainer and basket go on the face of the motor and the discharge goes directly into the base of my filter via a union There is less than about 9 inches between the pump and filter inlet.

Here is an image someone used in another posting. The pump is directly behind the basket and cannot be seen well in this image
HaywardDEFilter.png

Here is a better angle
Filter-Perflex-Above-Ground-Systems_1.othr.jpg

Based on the stuff on your table, I would add the strainer body to the face of the motor, add a hose adapter fitting to the outlet of the pump, add a flex hose to the pump outlet and loop it up to the filter's inlet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeahhhhh - *one day* I'll have the cartridge filter. The guy I bought the pump from had one, swore it was the best thing since buttered bread.

linen said:
Hayward if the valve decent....primarily because it is a bigger filter.

whoops. Loaded #150 pounds of new sand into the sparco.... that's alright, I'll use it next year.

so, flipped the pump housing, emptied the old sand, cleaned out the doodad in the middle of the tank, cleaned the tank, put the new sand in, cut the hole for the return nozzle, cut the skimmer hole, got those mounted up, connected all the lines, filled the pump strainer with h2O, gotta refill some water i drained to get the skimmer hole in. it was a butterfly gasket, not so bad, really. aaanannnnnnnnnndddddd its raining. I reckon the Good Lord thought I need some help topping the pool back off??

Attachments

• Untitled - 43.jpg
    Untitled - 43.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 166
booya baby!! :party:

runs like a champ! the kreepy krawley is all over the place!! the skimmer is sucking the surface stuff off!

the skimmer isn't leaking a drop (thank you, Lord)
the return is leaking a bit, but i think i can tighten it a hair more and that goes away.
now to get rid of the 1.25 inch hoses and get some 1.5 inch hose.
oh, and I need to get a 30amp breaker, the pump keeps tripping my 20amp.

thanks to all the folks at TFP, without your posts and info, I would have never thunk this possible. :whoot:

now I'm going for a nap, then i gotta get this Beginners Guide chem started tonight.

thanks again.... YOU GUYS ROCK!!

Attachments

• DSC_8891.JPG
    DSC_8891.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_8897.JPG
    DSC_8897.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_8896.JPG
    DSC_8896.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 147
<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

Day two of sand filter bliss. It's still working! I *really* need to get better hoses for it though. Radiator hose has been suggested. What's your thoughts/opinions/commentary on using radiator hose for the pump/filter? And another thing. Should I 'bond' this pool? I have seen some posts about 'bonding', and was wondering if i should. Someone suggested at least a getting piece of rebar driven down and a ground attached to it. What's your thoughts/opinions/commentary??

Man. my son could watch the Kreepy Krawley for hours... bwahhahahha!

I got the 30amp breaker put in, outside weatherproof housing. I'll use it for my tools too.

<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

holleeee cow!! I just paid $26 bucks for the label to top off my multi valve. are you kidding me?? and it wasn't the right one. "oh, Hayward doesn't make those kind anymore, this is the standard now". and then when i mentioned the sticker didn't have the "winterize" marking, she tried to tell me she had never seen that marking in 15 years...... THEN I get told there's a "no return" policy on special order items. uhhhhhh... you carry them in stock. You were out. I had it expedited so i didn't have to wait for your next shipment. cost me 8 bucks too. Then you wanna say it's 'special order'?? hahahahaahaha no wonder TFP recommends avoiding the' pool store'.... Just saying.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.