Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Call me crazy.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Call me crazy.....

But I'm getting ready to drop $200 on a pentair maxim 1.5 pump, sand filter, thru the wall skimmer, 24' solar cover, and assorted hoses, fittings, etc. all from a 'downed' 24' round pool.

should I do it or not??

what should I look for when I go to look at it??
    Intex 16'x48" easy set, 5000 gal. (AGP) w/ thru wall skimmer
    Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter S180T / Hayward Pro Series XL 1.5hp Pump
    TFTestKit-100 -- The Pool Calculator -- Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Call me crazy.....

If at all possible, get a two speed pump. A two speed can save you 50% of your electric usage for the pump.

You shouldn't ask us if you should have a pool around here the mindset is that everyone should have a pool!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just look to make sure everything is in decent shape. You'll need to empty the sand out of it to move it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If at all possible, get a two speed pump.
    yep. its a two speed. thats what originally got my interest. thats also the only reason i could convince the wife this was a 'good deal'
    Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter S180T / Hayward Pro Series XL 1.5hp Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Flawed, you are crazy! Couldn't help it .
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, so the pentair got sold before I could get it. *bummer*
    However, this is what I picked up yesterday:

sparco sf40 sand filter #150
    swim pro sand filter #250 pound
    Vari flo Valve
    powerflo lx 1.hp pump w/strainer basket (no lid)
    Thru wall skimmer w/ball outlet (no gasket)
    (2) model 603 Type 'A" intex filters
    26' round solar cover
    (6) intex pump hoses w/clamps
    A bag with various clamps, fittings, nozzles, covers for intex

The cost?? $140 bones (and about $20 in gas)
    Pics?? Oh Yeah! We got Pics!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Quick questions:

should i use the hayward, or the sparco filter?
    can I get a replacement sticker for the top valve?

Todays ToDo list:
    make the foundation for the pump with pavers
    get more HD hose
    get the strainer lid
    get the sand
    install the skimmer
    Hook this baby up!!

I'm just gonna run hose for this pool. It will be going away (probably) after this season. I've got my eye on a 27' already. (yes, the pool bug has bitten me)

8. Back To Top    #8

Just got back from Recreonics here in Louisville, ky. If you need pool supplies, this is *the* place to go. Friendly, helpful staff. Above and beyond expectations.

Let the games begin!!

On a side note: the pump is wrong isn't it?? Isn't that port supposed to point upward?? I reckon we'll start with disassembling the pump and getting the strainer put on right. Then I'm going to cut the liner and get the skimmer and return port mounted. I'm leaving the stock intex outlets, going to do something 'special' with them later. I've got about eight or nine hours of daylight. I want to start the chem stuff tonight. I'm using the sparco #150 tank, btw. Well, I'm off! Wish me luck!!

9. Back To Top    #9

That's a horizontal discharge pump. You can change it if you need to. It's designed to go with a bottom inlet filter (i.e. cartridge).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

My Hayward pump is just like that one. The strainer and basket go on the face of the motor and the discharge goes directly into the base of my filter via a union There is less than about 9 inches between the pump and filter inlet.

Here is an image someone used in another posting. The pump is directly behind the basket and cannot be seen well in this image

Here is a better angle

Based on the stuff on your table, I would add the strainer body to the face of the motor, add a hose adapter fitting to the outlet of the pump, add a flex hose to the pump outlet and loop it up to the filter's inlet.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Flawed
    should i use the hayward, or the sparco filter?
    Hayward if the valve is decent....primarily because it is a bigger filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeahhhhh - *one day* I'll have the cartridge filter. The guy I bought the pump from had one, swore it was the best thing since buttered bread.

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Hayward if the valve decent....primarily because it is a bigger filter.
    whoops. Loaded #150 pounds of new sand into the sparco.... that's alright, I'll use it next year.

so, flipped the pump housing, emptied the old sand, cleaned out the doodad in the middle of the tank, cleaned the tank, put the new sand in, cut the hole for the return nozzle, cut the skimmer hole, got those mounted up, connected all the lines, filled the pump strainer with h2O, gotta refill some water i drained to get the skimmer hole in. it was a butterfly gasket, not so bad, really. aaanannnnnnnnnndddddd its raining. I reckon the Good Lord thought I need some help topping the pool back off??

13. Back To Top    #13

booya baby!!

runs like a champ! the kreepy krawley is all over the place!! the skimmer is sucking the surface stuff off!

the skimmer isn't leaking a drop (thank you, Lord)
    the return is leaking a bit, but i think i can tighten it a hair more and that goes away.
    now to get rid of the 1.25 inch hoses and get some 1.5 inch hose.
    oh, and I need to get a 30amp breaker, the pump keeps tripping my 20amp.

thanks to all the folks at TFP, without your posts and info, I would have never thunk this possible.

now I'm going for a nap, then i gotta get this Beginners Guide chem started tonight.

thanks again.... YOU GUYS ROCK!!

14. Back To Top    #14

<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

Day two of sand filter bliss. It's still working! I *really* need to get better hoses for it though. Radiator hose has been suggested. What's your thoughts/opinions/commentary on using radiator hose for the pump/filter? And another thing. Should I 'bond' this pool? I have seen some posts about 'bonding', and was wondering if i should. Someone suggested at least a getting piece of rebar driven down and a ground attached to it. What's your thoughts/opinions/commentary??

Man. my son could watch the Kreepy Krawley for hours... bwahhahahha!

I got the 30amp breaker put in, outside weatherproof housing. I'll use it for my tools too.

15. Back To Top    #15

<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

holleeee cow!! I just paid $26 bucks for the label to top off my multi valve. are you kidding me?? and it wasn't the right one. "oh, Hayward doesn't make those kind anymore, this is the standard now". and then when i mentioned the sticker didn't have the "winterize" marking, she tried to tell me she had never seen that marking in 15 years...... THEN I get told there's a "no return" policy on special order items. uhhhhhh... you carry them in stock. You were out. I had it expedited so i didn't have to wait for your next shipment. cost me 8 bucks too. Then you wanna say it's 'special order'?? hahahahaahaha no wonder TFP recommends avoiding the' pool store'.... Just saying.....