Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool construction safety procedures - any?

1. Back To Top    #1

pool construction safety procedures - any?

I'm kind of new to new pool building and was subcontracted to install plumbing and equipment for a builder.

I have done some construction work before and know there are certain safety guidelines to follow. I realize now I should have been wearing boots, jeans and a hard hat.

The other day I was on site checking our work and ran into a steel stake in the ground. Tore my shin open and had to have 8 stitches.

I've done some research and see some people using caps/covers on the ground stakes to prevent this.

When we build we block up, lay the steel and gunite but this procedure was new to me.

Please see pic below.

Btw I don't plan on working for this builder again. The build is taking way too long and he does not follow any safe practices.

If you have any safety suggestions it would be much appreciated. Many thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool construction safety procedures - any?

I don't know but I'll follow along.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with you! If not for the safety of the workers.....Then for the home owners family!! I believe if your check the OSHA book(1926) you will find out that they should have caps or I've seen them install wooden box/2x4 troughs on the top). This is my opinion though check the standards out for yourself in the book to see if they apply.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNC
    I agree with you! If not for the safety of the workers.....Then for the home owners family!! I believe if your check the OSHA book(1926) you will find out that they should have caps or I've seen them install wooden box/2x4 troughs on the top). This is my opinion though check the standards out for yourself in the book to see if they apply.
    Thanks for that info. I'll check that book out. Much appreciated.

btw this is a club pool in a new gated community. no one is living there yet but very good point about the homeowners. suppose this builder does a residential pool! just one more reason to stay clear of him.