Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Type Of Algae???

1. Back To Top    #1

New Type Of Algae???

Can somebody please tell me if there is a algae called scga algae. My neighbor said he read about it somewhere on the internet. He said it is highly resistant to CL. It mostly gets into small crevices & indentions in vinyl & plaster pools. I do have some type of substance that continually reappears in these places in my vinyl pool. I can brush it away or vacumn it to waste,but it always comes back in the same locations. My water is crystal clear . I have been on BBB since May 2011 with great success. I just can't lick this,whatever, that won't go away. THANKS for any advice. fc 5.0,ph7.7,ta 70, ch 50,cya 40. TFP test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Re: New Type Of Algae???

Small Cell Green Algae (SCGA) can be a pain, and is in fact a little resistant to chlorine, but typically not shock levels. You do not list CC in your numbers, but likely have some. Do an OCLT and go from there.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I remember reading somewhere there are over 7,000 species of algae. They all have one similarity....chlorine kills them

If you have living algae in your pool, regardless of it's name, you do not have adequate chlorine.

The answer is to increase the chlorine to a level that will kill the algae. Perhaps you need to shock but, if you return to your previous FC levels, the algae will return, too.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply to my question about the scga algae. I do keep my cl at chart target level per cya reading. My cc has never been over.5 and normally at 0. I did shock one time with 6% bleach with the amount the chart suggested. Maybe it's just dirt or silt. Until May of this year I used my well as water refill in the pool. I'm thinking it just might be from that. Thanks again for all help.