How much bleach is normal

monty1

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2011
Shelbyville, Indiana
This is the second year we have been using the BBB method with great success. Last year was the best season we have ever had with our pool and we have had this pool for over 20 years.

The forum has been a great resource for information and that has given us confidence the chemistry of the pool is perfect at all times.

My question is concerning how much bleach is normal. We are consuming approximately three (3) 96 oz bottles of bleach (6%) per day. I do not recall using this much last year, but we have had an unusually hot spring and summer with temps in the 100's.

Could someone comment on our current usage??

Our numbers are as follows:
Water Temp - 82 deg
FC - 5
CC - 0
TC - 5
PH - 7.6
TA - 110
CH - 300
CYA - 55

Thanks,

Dan

it is "normal" to use 2-4ppm of FC per day. Use poolcalculator to see how much bleach that equates to for your pool size.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Richard320 said:
Pool Calculator says 96 oz of 6% will raise FC 1.9 in a 24000 gallon pool. So, you're using 5.7ppm per day. That sounds a little high. Any chance you're buying an off-brand of bleach that cut the strength but kept the same price?

You have a TF100, maybe it's time to run the overnight loss test. and see if there's anything in there lurking.

Am uising Aldi's 6% bleach.

Ran the overnight loss test and only came up with 0 fc loss.

We have had no rain for almost 4 weeks and a lot of hot direct sunlight on the water. Any other ideas??

Thanks,

Dan

Richard320 said:
Next factor: has it been getting a lot of use? The heat may account for some loss, but sweaty bodies probably account for more.

Yes, 3-4 kids a day in for 2-3 hours, but little suntan lotion.

The pool just does not have that sparkle to it like it had last year. Any thing I can do to get the sparkle back??

Dan

See this thread that is reporting similar issues, though in that case suntan lotion is more likely the culprit. You can try raising your FC level and running the pump longer to see if that clears the pool faster. You could also try using DE in a Sand Filter for finer filtration (though that wasn't the issue in the other thread where a DE filter with cellulose media is already being used).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.