Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to place skimmer valve for a proper backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to place skimmer valve for a proper backwash

Hi !

This is going to be my third backwash but I'm a little confused on where to place the skimmer valve. Mine has 3 different positions:
    50/50
    Full drain
    Full skim

The valve is usually in 50/50 and when I did the two previous backwashes my neighbor told me to place it in Full drain then back to 50/50 after the cleaning. Few minutes ago another person told me to leave it on 50/50 for backwash.

Thanks,

Walfred.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to place skimmer valve for a proper backwash

are you talking about the suction valve? It does not matter where it is for the backwashing.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess is that one, it is located right underneath of the skimmer basket. I have an above ground pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

It shouldn't matter where that valve is set when backwashing. The simplest thing is to leave it alone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Perfect!, that valve is set in 50/50 in a daily basis so I will follow your instructions from now on. Just to understand the hardware, could you please tell me when I should use the other 2 option?

6. Back To Top    #6

50/50 is a good day to day position. You often need to set the valve to skimmer only when vacuuming in order to get enough suction for the vacuum to work well. Main drain only is less common, you could use main drain only if the water level was below the skimmer for some reason, draining the pool perhaps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Wonderful, thanks a lot to you both guys !!!!!!