Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Three-way Jandy valve operation

1. Back To Top    #1

Three-way Jandy valve operation

Hi folks.

I have a skimmer leak under one of my skimmers as determined by the leak detection company and the bubbles in my pool outlets. The other skimmer line has no leak.

While waiting for the pool company to come and fix the line (they have to dig) I wanted to turn off that skimmer only and leave the other skimmer working to take leaves off the top of my pool

The two skimmers are controlled by a Jandy valve that looks something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jandy-3-way-Never ... B00461D6PA

Except that the inlet valve is on the side instead of on the top and the skimmer inlets come into the bottom and left sides (see attached picture)

So what I would like to do is turn the valve so that closed faces the bottom (the bad skimmer) but when I try to do so, the valve seems to have a limited range of motion. I seem to be able to close all the way to the left (the inlet) and thus turn off both skimmers and draw from the bottom only and I seem to be able to turn the valve 45 degrees in any direction from there but no further.

Is this simply the way the valve was designed or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Three-way Jandy valve operation

I can't see where the valve stops are, however, if you loosen the little knob that holds the handle to the valve, you should be able to turn the valve the rest of the way.

If it still won't turn there may be something stuck in the valve. To check, remove the stainless screws that hold the diverter plate down, lift the whole thing out and look for something caught in the valve.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

likely you have to remove the cover and rotate it since the stops are not adjustable.

This is why the main inlet/outlet should be in the middle.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you mean the eight screws on top?

5. Back To Top    #5

It could be that the installer removed the top of the valve and re-positioned it, trying (and failing) to offset the fact that the valve's exit is not in the middle.

This could explain the valve's inability to turn inside its intended arc, since its stops are now in the wrong position.

If you open the valve, removing all top screws, then it might be possible to re-position the top part in a way that allows you to isolate the bottom pipe.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses so far. Is there any set of instructions anywhere either here or online for repositioning the stops of a Jandy valve? I'm a Jandy valve virgin and I would feel more confident knowing something before opening it up. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

You can see the stops in the cover under the handle. Just pull the 8 screws and rotate the whole cover to where it seems like you can rotate the handle to the positions you want and then put the screws back in. The stop is not itself adjustable.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If you don't care about the stops, you can break off the tab (on the underside of the handle) and rotate the valve to your heart's content. Just don't dead head the pump when you do this.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!