I repaired crack in our fiberglass pool

Jul 6, 2012
We had a crack form in our 5 year old fiberglass pool, a structural crack that caused water loss continually. The following is what I did to repair the crack, as we couldn't get the manufacturer or contractor to do anything about it, and had gone for about 7 months (last fall to this spring) with the crack going untreated. Over the winter season, the water level leaked down to the crack and stayed there. Anyway, here is an account of the steps I took... I did some dumb things that I don't necessarily recommend, but hope it is helpful to someone.
http://pwp.att.net/p/PWP-poolrepair

I'm very sorry to hear that your contractor and manufacturer would not stand behind the pool and/or installation. You went to a lot of trouble to do an excellent job fixing the crack. And, thanks very much for posting the detailed narrative and pictures of the repair process.

The intallation of our fiberglass pool starts in 2 weeks. I hope that I never have to deal with the problem that you experienced. But, if I do, your post will be extremely helpful.

I hope you have many, many years of a trouble free pool. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies, Jamison and VinceL... I am really happy with the repair. VinceL, please confirm with your contractor that he will WASH IN the backfill with water... although I did not find a void behind the wall, I do not recall our contractor doing this... they compacted the bottom with a compactor, but did not wash in the sides backfill with water, and from what the manufacturer rambled on about, that is important to the quality of the job.
Thanks again for y'alls kind words.
Bosco

Well, I'm impressed with the repair you did along with the documentation. I know someone will make good use out of what you shared. Thanks!

Thanx, imrodee... I really hope so. When I was doing my internet search for such a page, I had a terrible time finding anything, so I hope it fills that bill. Incidently, your pool is looking PHENOMENAL!!!

i bought a five year old used 12x28 aloha II fiberglass pool off craigslist for $5500.it came with $1,900 dollars worth of tile around the pool, the skimmer,the return jets and a $1000 dollar complete fiberstars fiberoptic light with the fiberoptic cable included.the pool has a small crack in the bottom.i contacted aloha fiberglass pools about purchasing some gelcoat.i didnt even mention the word warranty lol.they sent me the gelcoat for free.im going to fix the fiberglass and re gelcoat the repair.im going to be about $15,000 turnkey into this pool project with concrete decking included.with all the horror stories about pool problems with installers and manufactures pointing the finger at each other.im glad i went this route because it would have cost me $34,000 cash to have this pool installed turnkey.and i would be extremely mad to have shoveled out that kind of money and have a pool with a leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for sharing that. It will no doubt serve as an excellent guide to someone in the future. In fact, it would be great if this was listed among the how to's or somewhere as to not get buried and lost. Great job man, it looks fantastic!

Thanks for posting the details of your repair. It looks excellent and you really had some great ideas for a DIY fix. I hope I never have to make such a repair, but if I ever do I'll certainly use your guide and lessons learned. Incidentally, to keep this from getting lost I went one step beyond bookmarking the location and copied the entire thing into a Word document so I'd have it available if I ever needed it in years to come. It all copied fine and took only seconds to do, so if anyone else keeps DIY files for potential future projects, that's one way to prevent things the good idea fairy brings you from getting lost as years pass.

I want to thank each of you for your really kind comments... it's encouraging. We are a couple months past the repair, and so far all is cool... I still have a hard time seeing where it was, but I know the spot well... plus, as noted on my page the silicone "grout" of the above waterline tiles is whiter. Someone on another board had commented that some repairs that look great when finished are completely different a year later, but i will admit I am pretty confident that this one will last. The generous overlap past the crack to the existing fiberglass, use of epoxy resin as opposed to polyester resin, and applying 10 layers plus gelcoat... it should last a long time I hope.
Glad you liked it and I hope it helps someone.

You took the time to "do it right" and to follow it up with "how do i prevent this in the future?" Of course it came out well!

This is a really useful link and a mod-min ought to find a way to perma-link it so others can easily find it in the future.

Did anyone ever send you a link or copy to the original posting info? I too, would love to be able to read it and it doesn't work for me either. We are having a problem right now and looking for ideas and answers on how to fix before it becomes a bigger issue.
Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.