Can't get new Hayward Filter fittings to stop leaking HELP!

Jul 6, 2011
Okay, so I just installed a new Hayward EC-50 DE filter on my Intex 24' round, and can't get the fittings between the pump and filter canister to stop leaking. The leaking fittings are, the one that screws into the filter canister, and the one that screws into the pump outlet. They came pre- installed from factory with teflon tape. The moment I fired up the pump for the first time, I had water every where. I proceeded to tighten the fittings a few more turns, with no luck. Next I removed the fittings, cleaned all of the teflon tape, and this time I tried PVC thread compound, this helped but I still have a leak. Any suggestions??? :rant:

Re: Can't get new Hayward Filter fittings to stop leaking HE

Are these the threaded PVC fittings on either side of the union?

What size hoses are you using to the pump strainer basket and from the filter exit to the pool?

What is your pressure reading in the filter?

You can see what I have below but I know my pump moves a ton of water, very quickly. My clean filter pressure is almost always 14 psi, my dirty pressure used to run up to 23 but now it stops at 20-21. In the same time frame I changed the gauge (broken lens), upgraded to a larger and shorter return hose to the pool and replaced the pool return, added a PVC 90* fitting and changed the return eyeball size when I changed my liner.

I have noticed these types of fittings will tend to become more cone shaped with age (chemical exposure?), also if they are screwing into flat bottomed holes on the pump or filter you can try adding a rubber gasket or O-ring. (you can often find various sizes of these in the small parts drawers at hardware stores.)

Techguy & Isaac, I appreciated your responses!!! To answer your questions; This is a brand new filter, which I hard piped to my pool/solar heater using PVC schd 40 1.5" pipes. The fittings that are leaking are not pvc fittings, they are regular black plastic threaded fittings that come preinstalled in the filter from factory. When the filter is running the filter's pressure is @ 10psi. Here is a diagram the union in the red square is the one leaking, the red arrows point to the exact locations where the water is leaking from. To be more specific, the fittings that are leaking are the ones that screw into the filter(left arrow), and the one that screws into the pump (right arrow). The center "union which completes the connection between filter/pump is not leaking.

[img]http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i391/traxxi2003/HaywardDEFilter.png[/img]

I would definitely take the leaking fittings apart and use teflon tape (lots of it, not 3 turns but more like 30 turns) on them.

If the fittings are made of PE (polyethylene) then they can expand under hydraulic pressure from the water, and under mechanical stress from screwing them together. You need a lot of teflon tape to cover that expansion and stop the leak.

EDIT: Either this, or some rubber gasket / o-ring that was supposed to be in the fittings is missing, this kind of thing can happen as well, some part is forgotten, someone at the factory is having a bad day, or it is his first day at work, or ...

"asxetos" you've brought up a good point about the possibility of a missing seal/gasket. I will check the parts diagram for my filter and see if is supposed to have a seal on those connections. If not, I will definitely try the teflon tape again like you suggested. Thanks again!!!

Reactions: skz1981

I have the same unit, so I know exactly what you mean. I would call Hayward's technical support since its new or your local dealer. I am not sure it the pump and valve are factory or dealer prepared but see what they say. I have had mine for near 8 years and it has sat where is is now and it's never had any issue like this.

If the fitting has pipe threads then it seals with the threads and no o-ring or gasket is missing. Just put on about ten turns of teflon tape. If this doesn't work either the fitting is bad, not round, or where it threads into is bad, distorted, bad threads. You could either send back the bad parts or just put some epoxy on the threads and put them in permanently.

My experience with teflon tape is that ANYTHING over about 4-5 turns is usually overkill and will give you a good chance of cracking the plastic female threads.

As far as sealing it with epoxy, what do you intend to do with the joint if, after you have applied the epoxy, it continues to leak?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.