electric

amanda

Jul 2, 2012
Georgetown, KY
Currently having to run an extension cord to operate our agp(temporary). We have called multiple electricians, finally got a call back today from one. They came out and looked and told us they would give us an estimate by next Thursday. I know nothing about the electric stuff. I want a plug that can work for deck lighting in the future too. Is there a lot of work required for them to do this? I guess I'm just trying to figure out a price estimate, so I know I'm getting a fair price. Any info is appreciated!

Can't comment on the price, however, I know a lot of pumps are supposed to be connected to their own breaker. Maybe that is different for AGP...

I really hope you opted for a GFI type of extension cord for your temporary fix (or at least unplug it while people are around the water).

I had mine hooked up with an extension cord for 2 years and my electrician was indifferent on me using it. I wanted deck lighting as well so I finally had him bury a dedicated outlet and mount it on the deck and he charged me $300.

Most of the work is usually digging a trench to bury the electrical cable/conduit in. The challenge of doing that varies quite a bit depending on how far it needs to run and what is in the way. Often you can get a big price break if you dig the trench yourself.

I think I got completely ripped off based on this. I paid over a grand to get a new panel in the house (you may not need that - my house one was almost full when I started the pool project.) Then I paid just over a grand again for the guy to get six feet away from that area (outside the house) to mount a new breaker box and three outlets, as well as bond everything. On that second bill, he was installing the heater and pump. I'll have to eventually pay more as that did not include a timer or a "kill switch" or whatever you call it so I can turn the pump off without opening up the dedicated breaker box. Good luck - hopefully yours is way less money/involved.

I know we did ours ourself. My husband and bother-in-law, drilled through the basement wall to put a gfi connection out back. Then my husband and I dug the trench and ran wire through conduit to the pool area. We put a gfi connection under the deck for the pump and light and another outlet on top of the deck for music and such. It wasn't really hard, digging the trench wasprobably the hardest part. Probably was lessthan $100 for the whole setup, wire conduit, recepticls, etc.

Digging the trench is the killer.

I'm no professional electrician, so I don't know all the figures, but I do know there are figures for how deep the trench needs to be, how high above ground the boxes need to be, and how close/far away from the pool the outlet can be. Grill your electricians, "What does code say?" and only hire the guy who can give you the answer, even if he's not the cheapest.

Anyone with a little bit of mechanical aptitude can install a circuit breaker and string some wire. That's not good enough. You don't want the end result to look like something out of http://failblog.cheezburger.com/thereifixedit/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.