My never-ending backyard pool project........

Jul 27, 2011
I thought I'd throw a few pics out there of what I have been working on the last 11 months. I use this forum a lot and have learned a great deal from everyone here. Wife and I decided to get a pool and slowly turn our plain backyard into something we could use. I decided to get a fiberglass pool from Trilogy (Genesis model) and then went from there. I opted for two pumps to split out the water features and pool cleaning duties. I added a waterfall, deck jets (4), pool heater w/chiller option and a whole lot of pavers (~1650 sq.ft.). I am currently building a 1000 sq.ft. deck next to the house.....as my wife rolls her eyes :roll: Learned a lot and have put a lot of time into doing a lot of things myself. We still have the landscaping to put in, a large pergola above the deck stairs to install, a misting station to connect up and another electric awning to install over the spa area. I just finished installing about 50 led lights around the deck that all have dimming capability via a remote control. This project has grown a bit, but we have enjoyed it so far.

This is what we had to start with.......a backyard that always flooded out during heavy rains:

DSC04752.jpg

DSC05513.jpg

Started digging:

DSC05726-1.jpg

Pool:

DSC05807-1.jpg

Going in:

DSC05831.jpg

In the ground:

DSC05849.jpg

Concrete cap:

DSC05917.jpg

continued.....

Cutting the pool coping.....

DSC05937.jpg

Laying Rinox pavers....

DSC06038a.jpg

Testing the deck jets....

DSC06134.jpg

Installed a gas firepit....

DSC06127.jpg

added a waterfall feature....

DSC06497.jpg

added some 11' cantilever umbrellas...

DSC06711.jpg

continued......
Decided to start on the next phase six weeks ago by adding a spa (Jacuzzi J365) and ripping out the old deck.

9x9 pad we put in (6" thick):

DSC06713.jpg

The original deck just had to go. I drew out a design on a napkin at dinner one night and transferred it to graph paper (~1000 sq.ft.). Decided to make it extra strong: 6x6 posts with doubled up 2x10's and 2x8 joists on 12" centers. We used over 150 bags of concrete (80# bags) and a whole lot of pressure treated lumber. Everything is screwed together and I opted to use TimberTech XLM pvc decking for the surface. I opted to use all hidden fasteners and no butted boards when possible. Minimal seams. I've been building it with two friends and I'm very happy with the results so far.

Original deck is pictured below (ugly, warped and splintery):

beforedeck.jpg

DSC06771.jpg

New deck starting to go up. Added a "bump out area" to place the grill:

DSC06828.jpg

DSC06843.jpg

Crazy looking stairs:

DSC06846.jpg

New pvc material going down:

DSC06911.jpg

DSC06921.jpg

Decided to add some in-deck storage and some built in benches:

DSC06936.jpg

DSC06929.jpg

elwood58 said:
You left us hanging.

adding pics as fast as I can :-D

Got to a point that we had to wait for the spa to arrive......kept working on other ideas I added (outdoor bathroom, more benches, etc.)

DSC06960.jpg

DSC06974.jpg

DSC06995.jpg

DSC07117.jpg

Bathroom (shower, sink and toilet) area.....waiting for the custom PVC walls to arrive:

DSC07137.jpg

Decided to make a "stereo bench" around the spa area. Used all "marine grade" components so it would be waterproof. Sony head unit that stores an iPod inside, Rockford Fosgate amp, mids, tweets and sealed 10" subwoofer all fits into the bench. I have a 40amp AC to DC convertor mounted inside. Works awesome.

DSC07035.jpg

I made a housing for the waterproof remote out of some pvc piping....came out great:

DSC07074.jpg

Still have a pergola w/misting station to install, electric awning to install, finish the railing system and final deck skirting (white pvc) to install. This is how it looks as of today:

DSC07121.jpg

DSC07123.jpg

The railing system has been a pain in the Rear to install......but I like the looks:

DSC07136.jpg

Lots of led lights.....thanks for looking :cheers: :

DSC07165.jpg

We used TimberTech XLM boards (all pvc) and chose a dark border color of "rustic bark" to go along with the "harvest bronze" boards. My rails have a coastal white post with walnut colored rails and black balusters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YippeeSkippy said:
I'd love to see more on the pool bathroom? Where exactly did you tuck it? How did you finish the walls and plumb it?

I had the plumbing tap back into my household plumbing. I have an isolation valve under my house crawl space that I can use to winterize the bathroom components. The shower just runs onto the pvc deck and drains into a graded gravel/french drain we have under the deck. The 7 foot walls will be made out of pvc fencing (white trim with clay colored fence panels). There will be a 3 foot door (pvc gate) that mounts between the two posts I installed. I am putting a shower rod from one post to the wall so someone can just pull the curtain shut to isolate the toilet/sink area. The outdoor bathroom ends up being 5'x7'. There will be a pergola type open roof that will tie into the pergola I'm having installed by the main stairs. We are building a pvc cover for all the shower piping as well.

As it stands today.....

DSC07176.jpg

DSC07177.jpg

The walls will look very similar to the panels used for this fence:

residential-fencing.jpg

Started out with this sketch but decided to make the door 3' and move it out to the end post. Also moved the shower to the brick wall.

DSC06804.jpg

Looks Great! I am glad someone already asked about the outdoor bathroom. My wife really wants to add something small, toilet sink only just to keep people out of the house. In the meantime she is looking for a Runner from the sliding glass door to the bathroom so her Hardwood floors don't get ruined.

As for needing a bigger money tree...If you do find one, can I have your current money tree? lol

A bathroom was definitely at the top of my list. I have tile floors and they get very slippery when wet and I didn't want anyone getting hurt (or dragging water into the house). Surprisingly, the pvc decking is not slippery at all when wet.

I found a landscaper and he'll be starting on the backyard next Friday. Can't wait to get that phase started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.