Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My never-ending backyard pool project........

1. Back To Top    #1

My never-ending backyard pool project........

I thought I'd throw a few pics out there of what I have been working on the last 11 months. I use this forum a lot and have learned a great deal from everyone here. Wife and I decided to get a pool and slowly turn our plain backyard into something we could use. I decided to get a fiberglass pool from Trilogy (Genesis model) and then went from there. I opted for two pumps to split out the water features and pool cleaning duties. I added a waterfall, deck jets (4), pool heater w/chiller option and a whole lot of pavers (~1650 sq.ft.). I am currently building a 1000 sq.ft. deck next to the house.....as my wife rolls her eyes Learned a lot and have put a lot of time into doing a lot of things myself. We still have the landscaping to put in, a large pergola above the deck stairs to install, a misting station to connect up and another electric awning to install over the spa area. I just finished installing about 50 led lights around the deck that all have dimming capability via a remote control. This project has grown a bit, but we have enjoyed it so far.

This is what we had to start with.......a backyard that always flooded out during heavy rains:

Started digging:

Pool:

Going in:

In the ground:

Concrete cap:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My never-ending backyard pool project........

continued.....

Cutting the pool coping.....

Laying Rinox pavers....

Testing the deck jets....

Installed a gas firepit....

added a waterfall feature....

added some 11' cantilever umbrellas...

3. Back To Top    #3

continued......
    Decided to start on the next phase six weeks ago by adding a spa (Jacuzzi J365) and ripping out the old deck.

9x9 pad we put in (6" thick):

The original deck just had to go. I drew out a design on a napkin at dinner one night and transferred it to graph paper (~1000 sq.ft.). Decided to make it extra strong: 6x6 posts with doubled up 2x10's and 2x8 joists on 12" centers. We used over 150 bags of concrete (80# bags) and a whole lot of pressure treated lumber. Everything is screwed together and I opted to use TimberTech XLM pvc decking for the surface. I opted to use all hidden fasteners and no butted boards when possible. Minimal seams. I've been building it with two friends and I'm very happy with the results so far.

Original deck is pictured below (ugly, warped and splintery):

New deck starting to go up. Added a "bump out area" to place the grill:

Crazy looking stairs:

New pvc material going down:

Decided to add some in-deck storage and some built in benches:

4. Back To Top    #4

You left us hanging.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    You left us hanging.
    adding pics as fast as I can

Got to a point that we had to wait for the spa to arrive......kept working on other ideas I added (outdoor bathroom, more benches, etc.)

Bathroom (shower, sink and toilet) area.....waiting for the custom PVC walls to arrive:

Decided to make a "stereo bench" around the spa area. Used all "marine grade" components so it would be waterproof. Sony head unit that stores an iPod inside, Rockford Fosgate amp, mids, tweets and sealed 10" subwoofer all fits into the bench. I have a 40amp AC to DC convertor mounted inside. Works awesome.

I made a housing for the waterproof remote out of some pvc piping....came out great:

Still have a pergola w/misting station to install, electric awning to install, finish the railing system and final deck skirting (white pvc) to install. This is how it looks as of today:

The railing system has been a pain in the *** to install......but I like the looks:

Lots of led lights.....thanks for looking :

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

That's very classy. It shows you carefully planned until your masterpiece was perfected.
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

8. Back To Top    #8

Spectacular! Sooooo wish I had a DIYer in my family!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

9. Back To Top    #9

Very nice!! What brand deck boards is that and what colors are they? I really like that look. Again, great job!
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

10. Back To Top    #10

We used TimberTech XLM boards (all pvc) and chose a dark border color of "rustic bark" to go along with the "harvest bronze" boards. My rails have a coastal white post with walnut colored rails and black balusters.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'd love to see more on the pool bathroom? Where exactly did you tuck it? How did you finish the walls and plumb it?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    I'd love to see more on the pool bathroom? Where exactly did you tuck it? How did you finish the walls and plumb it?
    I had the plumbing tap back into my household plumbing. I have an isolation valve under my house crawl space that I can use to winterize the bathroom components. The shower just runs onto the pvc deck and drains into a graded gravel/french drain we have under the deck. The 7 foot walls will be made out of pvc fencing (white trim with clay colored fence panels). There will be a 3 foot door (pvc gate) that mounts between the two posts I installed. I am putting a shower rod from one post to the wall so someone can just pull the curtain shut to isolate the toilet/sink area. The outdoor bathroom ends up being 5'x7'. There will be a pergola type open roof that will tie into the pergola I'm having installed by the main stairs. We are building a pvc cover for all the shower piping as well.

As it stands today.....

The walls will look very similar to the panels used for this fence:

Started out with this sketch but decided to make the door 3' and move it out to the end post. Also moved the shower to the brick wall.

13. Back To Top    #13

Beautiful!

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow...simply amazing!!!
    16x28 IGP Vinyl liner (Siesta Key Tile/Blue Reef Bottom - 27 Mil Wall & Bottom)
    12,000 gallons
    1 HP Hayward Pump
    Hayward CL220 Off Line Chlorine Feeder (Empty unless low on CYA or on Vacation)
    Hayward EC65A D.E. Filter
    16 Mil Clear Solar Cover with Arm Reel
    Hayward Pool Vac XL
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB Method
    The Pool Calculator, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for the compliments. I have grand ideas, just need a bigger money tree

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks GREAT! If you do get that bigger money tree, let me know where you found it!
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

17. Back To Top    #17

Nice!
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump
    200 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks Great! I am glad someone already asked about the outdoor bathroom. My wife really wants to add something small, toilet sink only just to keep people out of the house. In the meantime she is looking for a Runner from the sliding glass door to the bathroom so her Hardwood floors don't get ruined.

As for needing a bigger money tree...If you do find one, can I have your current money tree? lol
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

19. Back To Top    #19

excellent work, thanks for sharing!
    60K gallon plaster, dual CircuPool RJ45 SWCGs, dual Hayward 2hp Superpumps, 36" Hayward Sand Filter
    http://www.themustardseedmission.org
    La Quinta BethEl, missions house
    Los Cedros, Nicaragua

20. Back To Top    #20

A bathroom was definitely at the top of my list. I have tile floors and they get very slippery when wet and I didn't want anyone getting hurt (or dragging water into the house). Surprisingly, the pvc decking is not slippery at all when wet.

I found a landscaper and he'll be starting on the backyard next Friday. Can't wait to get that phase started.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast