just checking if I'm on the right track

bagels

Jul 7, 2012
FC-20
CC-0
PH-7.0
TA-120
CYA-120

Cloudy water, some green on bottom. Looks like it's getting worse daily.

Approx. 25,000 gals (16X36) with 4' and 8'

Automatic chlorinator with trichlor tabs.

Sand filter.

Taylor k-2006C Test kit.

just put in 1092 oz of 6% bleach according to what pool calculator told me. Will follow the shock procedure in Pool school. Dumped some water before shock to try to lower CYA. Will do it again as necessary.

ANything else, or am I on the right track?

Getting that CYA down will make shocking a much easier process. T/A seems quite high, especially with your pH being so low. I would be tempted to aerate the pH up to just below 8, and take it back down to 7.2 with Muriatic Acid, a couple of times, aerating back up to the high 7s. Solve the CYA problem first though, as everything else will get easier. On a 15,000 gallon pool (example only), you need to get rid of 75% of that water. To truly get your pool to shock level and keep it there, your FC needs to be in the high 20s at all times until clear, and passing an OCLT.

That automatic chlorinator should be relegated to vacation duty only, as using it will make your CYA a never ending problem.

You do not show a number for CH, but without details on your pool, that number won't mean as much to us right now.

Yea, just discovered this site, so am working toward moving away from chlorinator. CYA is so high because I went away on vac and came back to a swamp. Did multiple shocks, flocs and vac to waste over the course a 5 days. had no real test kit at the time, so added CYA according to what the instructions were on container. Figured I had no chlorine because it was being sucked up by the sun (have full sun from 7a-5p). I now know I have too much CYA and must drain and refill a couple of times, but I want to keep large amounts of Chlorine in there so it doesn't get any worse and the kids can still swim. BTW-vinyl pool and tested ch a couple of days ago and nothing jumped out at me. Will test again tommorrow. My problem is that I work 24hrs at a time, so I'm away for a while and wife is fairly useless at being able to follow the program.

This mornings #'s

FC-45
CC-0
PH-7.4
TA-120
CH-40
CYA-120

Areated all night to bring up PH. Double checked CC to make sure, and It is at 0, unless the reagent in test is bad (just to be sure, I put 25 drops in and it didn't go back to pink). In the process of doing another drain (I usually just drain to below skimmer box and then refill).

I usually use a solar cover, will this have any relevence?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.