Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: do you keep the pump running

1. Back To Top    #1

do you keep the pump running

have my pool at shock level, was wondering if it makes a difference if I keep the pump running. plan on a oclt tomorrow am.
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: do you keep the pump running

When shocking the pool it is generally a good idea to leave the pump running all the time. However, doing so is not required just for an OCLT.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, going to keep it running
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe we're crazy, and maybe it's just an artifact from when we had a pressure-driven pool cleaner, but we run our pump 24/7. If I have to replace the pump a bit more frequently than others, so be it (we've done so once in the 12 years we've had the pool).
    20,000 gal. free-form plaster on concrete
    Triton DE filter, 1.5HP pump
    Aquabot Elite pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

we run ours 24/7 also. don't know how much we would save on electric bill if we went to 12/12. People that put the pool in 20 some years ago said it was easier on the pump to run than the kickin on and off. dont really believe anyting they say anymore, but I don't know

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It is quite common for pumps to be run too much with residential pools. The only real damage is to your wallet but it helps insure a cleaner pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Would be nice to save a few bucks but if it ends up more work and chems. to clean it up i don't think you would be that much ahead. think i"m going to run mine 24/7.

8. Back To Top    #8

reduced run time will not be more work out chemicals. Just back of the run time until the pool is not as clean as you like. Some members say they only run 4 hours per day ... that could be a lot of saved money from a full day.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!