Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward S180 T

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward S180 T

What is a spider gasket and what does it do?

How do you tell if one of your laterals is broken?

What else can go wrong with this type of filter and what are the signs?

If you run your pump and you pool has tons of algae (hadn't heard of running it on waste till I started reading here), how can one be sure that the algae doesn't grow in the filter?
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward S180 T

A spider gasket is inside a multi-port valve. It prevents the main valve wheel from leaking water between the various ports.

When a lateral is damaged, sand will get into the pool, usually fairly slowly.

Sand filters are fairly reliable. The only even remotely frequent failures are cracked laterals and channeling (ways for debris to get through the filter, even through it shouldn't).

Algae requires sunlight to grow. The filter is dark inside, so no algae can survive for long inside the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward S180 T

Thanks Jason.

Okay I understand what the spider gasket is now. Wasn't for sure before hand and was only guessing (which was wrong).

We are getting some quantities of sand in the pool but unsure if the grandkids are dragging it in as we have some sand near the steps and they sometimes play in prior to getting into the pool. I plan on changing the sand after this season as I don't like the coarser sand that Sutherlands handles (bag said it is pool filter sand, but it isn't nearly as fine as the sand from the pool store).
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit