Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pumping Water Out of Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Peoria, AZ

Pumping Water Out of Pool

Hello all,

I will be renting a sump pump today and pumping the water out of my pool to lower my CYA. I have a float that automatically adds water to my pool to counter evaporation. Can I and should I manually disable this while pumping the water out? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
    9500 Gallons, IG, Pebble, Cartridge filters, 1.5 HP Pump, Built 2005 - Peoria, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Lynchburg VA

Re: Pumping Water Out of Pool

If you cannot separate the new water coming into the pool from the old water going out, disable the auto fill. When you have drained what you want to drain, fill the pool back up. If you have a tarp that will cover the top of the pool you can cover the pool, pump water from under the tarp, refill the pool on top of the tarp and the remove the tarp allowing the water to mix when you have drained what you want to drain.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Re: Pumping Water Out of Pool

There should be a shutoff valve for the line feeding the automatic pool leveler. If you can't fine it, then tie the float up inside the leveler to shut the water off.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"