4 pound container of CYA in a sock?

Aug 1, 2011
Can you put the full 4 pound container in a sock and leave it in the skimmer basket? Also what kind of sock? Can you use a tube sock?? what about panty hose?? I put about 2 pounds directly through the skimmer and noticed my filter pressure went from 14 to 16. Thanks for the advice.

Yep. Nearly any kind of sock will work, though pantyhose is my favorite. Just check that the sock isn't completely blocking off water flow through the skimmer (which is unlikely though a problem if it does happen).

8corneflakes said:
I thought the sock was supposed to go in front of the return? Is the skimmer a better way?

~theresa
Either way is fine. You just have to be careful if it is in the skimmer so as to not block the water flow.

Also, if you are not needing to backwash for a while, you could just add it slowly directly to the skimmer and let it get caught in the filter to dissolve there.

I think as long as there is water flow around the sock you will be OK but if it is in the skimmer I would avoid backwashing the filter for a week or so. The last time I added CYA, I added it to the filter and let it dissolve in there. As far as kids swimming while it is dissolving, I don't believe there are any issues with it.

elwood58 said:
I put mine in a sock in the skimmer, but I do not leave it here if the pump is not running. I may be too cautious, as I always thought it would be too acidic just sitting there.
I take it out, too, when the pump is off and hold it in a plastic bucket until reuse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.