Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 4 pound container of CYA in a sock?

1. Back To Top    #1

4 pound container of CYA in a sock?

Can you put the full 4 pound container in a sock and leave it in the skimmer basket? Also what kind of sock? Can you use a tube sock?? what about panty hose?? I put about 2 pounds directly through the skimmer and noticed my filter pressure went from 14 to 16. Thanks for the advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 4 pound container of CYA in a sock?

Yep. Nearly any kind of sock will work, though pantyhose is my favorite. Just check that the sock isn't completely blocking off water flow through the skimmer (which is unlikely though a problem if it does happen).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Can the kids go in the pool as it is in the skimmer dissolving???

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought the sock was supposed to go in front of the return? Is the skimmer a better way?

~theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    I thought the sock was supposed to go in front of the return? Is the skimmer a better way?

~theresa
    Either way is fine. You just have to be careful if it is in the skimmer so as to not block the water flow.

Also, if you are not needing to backwash for a while, you could just add it slowly directly to the skimmer and let it get caught in the filter to dissolve there.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I think as long as there is water flow around the sock you will be OK but if it is in the skimmer I would avoid backwashing the filter for a week or so. The last time I added CYA, I added it to the filter and let it dissolve in there. As far as kids swimming while it is dissolving, I don't believe there are any issues with it.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by george171
    Can the kids go in the pool as it is in the skimmer dissolving???
    Yes, assuming the FC is within limits, CC is less than 1ppm and the pool is clear.
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I put mine in a sock in the skimmer, but I do not leave it here if the pump is not running. I may be too cautious, as I always thought it would be too acidic just sitting there.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    I put mine in a sock in the skimmer, but I do not leave it here if the pump is not running. I may be too cautious, as I always thought it would be too acidic just sitting there.
    I take it out, too, when the pump is off and hold it in a plastic bucket until reuse.