New pool boy lost in low CYA and cloudy water...

Jul 13, 2012
Hello all... Long story short I got stuck working on my girl friends moms pool this summer. Due to a divorce last fall no one covered up the pool at all, all winter. I got the water to go from black to a blueish color with. But I cant get the cloudy color to go away. Also the CYA is reading the lowest setting on the test sheet. I added 4 lbs of Stabilizer and Conditioner, 2 lbs tested a week later and added 2 more. Also the PH is low and no matter how much PH increase I cant get it up. I have been using the powder Stabilizer and Conditioner. Should I switch to something else? Could this be causing the cloudy water?

S

and the best would be to order one of the good recommended test kits. Pool stores are only slightly better than the test strips ... and not at all if they themselves use strips.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Ok the local pool store is around 90 miles away so because my work schedule I'm not going to get to go for a few more days. I did take a sample of the water last night and used the test strip. The pool is 25000 gallons. The test strip the owner has only test the FCI,ALK,Ph and CYA.
FCI is 1
ALK 80
PH 6
CYA is 0

mind you when I started the pool it took a few days to kill all the black algae, since then the owner put shock in it. I used PH increase and measured out and used conditioner 2 week apart 2 times. I'm lost and I would like to get it so they can enjoy there pool before then end of the year :0(

Also if I get the PH up and the CYA can they swim in it with out bad reactions?

Thanks everyone

Hi xtrimex and welcome to TFP! :)

BBB of pool water methods taught here is about getting your own test kit, testing yourself.
Then with the results from those test you will then do what is needed to the pool water to fix it. The pool will do as it told to do if you do this right.
Go to Pool School link at the top of the page and read through it.
1st thing to do is read this here in Pool School about test kits:
pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

The preferred kit is the TF-100 and when fighting a nasty pool get the XL option. (more supplies) The speed stir is a nice tool, but not needed to work the tests.
Go here and follow these instructions:
what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.