Waxahachie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We read alot of great information on here, and googled anything else I didn't understand. All I had in mind was I wanted a salt water pool and a spa. I had some highly recommended pool builders out here and each one listened to what I had in mind, then came up with very similar designs. Prices were high and low, but I could have made any of them work. We finally went with what we consider to be a PB we trusted and had a great reputation. We went to see some that he had built 12+ years ago, some currently under construction and one just completed. So, we signed the contract, and broke ground yesterday.

I'm going to attempt to post the layout and some pics in a bit, but here are some of the details:

32'x16' Freeform Pool (water to water) 3.5'to 5'to 4'
Perimeter 91'
Flagstone coping
2 Skimmers
5 Returns Pool
Diamond Brite Tahoe blue custom mix
7' Spa with rock exterior raised 18" Mossrock veneer and flagstone cap (and rolled tile edge)
6 Returns Spa
Tiered rock descent
6' Tanning Ledge with fountain
Grotto with seat and footrest (and shelf)
Moss rocks along backside of pool and spa
Led Lights in Spa, Grotto and Pool
Dual Main Drains
1.5 inch vac lines
Easytouch 8 computer w/indoor control panel
Spa side remote
Intelliflo pool pump
White plaster
Pentair Smart Pump 4x160
Pentair Booster
FNS 60 DE 60 sf
Mastertemp 400
Rainbow 320
Dual Timer w/ freeze protection
Natural Gas
Pentair Salt system
Extended Aggregate decking

We broke ground yesterday.. today the rebar is going in (as I type.) There was solid rock under about 2 feet of soil (better know as Houston Clay soil)
This process is really exciting, and fun to watch. (Not just ours, but everyone else's too!)

Hopefully I have attached the pool design...

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 3,267
Pulling out some trees.. (I hated that part..)

Attachments

• 5845000a93d603631342220605.jpeg
    5845000a93d603631342220605.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 3,240
  • 8595000a93defc341342220605.jpeg
    8595000a93defc341342220605.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 3,237
  • 2865000a93e884881342220606.jpeg
    2865000a93e884881342220606.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 3,238
Flatlander said:
A great start, keep the pics coming.
Did they do the returns loop before steel or maybe after steel? I've seen it both ways and was curious about the difference if any.

I'm not sure what do the returns loop means.. sorry, I'm a newbie. My first pool ever! The workers are out there right now, I can take some pics if you like. All they are doing today (Day 2) is the rebar. Yesterday they dug the hole. No electrical or plumbing yet.

Are you building your own?

End of Day 1

The tanning ledge is the only thing that doesn't have rocks showing thru..

Attachments

• 8715000a93f2ec7b1342220607.jpeg
    8715000a93f2ec7b1342220607.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 3,221
I'm not sure what do the returns loop means.. sorry, I'm a newbie.

Flatlander is talking about the pool plumbing. Half of it has to go in before the gunite. Sometimes the plumbers come out and plumb before the steel crew, sometimes after.

I don't know for sure, but would guess it's just a matter of scheduling.

bigdav160 said:
I'm not sure what do the returns loop means.. sorry, I'm a newbie.

Flatlander is talking about the pool plumbing. Half of it has to go in before the gunite. Sometimes the plumbers come out and plumb before the steel crew, sometimes after.

I don't know for sure, but would guess it's just a matter of scheduling.

Oh thanks... No plumbing just yet! The steel guys just left and I see they installed ground wire.

Being a newbie myself, I am still trying to figure this stuff out a little bit so I don't have to depend on what a PB says, did that with a home builder. :)
If you look at the thread, Building in MIdlothian, the steel pic shows the the spa loop return going thru the steel with 'flex' pvc but the pool loop return, it appears, is outside the perimeter of the pool already covered up with dirt. I have seen one pool that used the 'flex' pvc thru the steel on the pool too. Any opinions??
This kinda goes along with steel size and spacing, does it matter? I don't know. Maybe scheduling issues or steel guys messing up plumb work?? In my local area, I am trying to look at as many steel/plumb pools as I can, but timing makes them hard to catch.
I would like to DIY, if I could find the local subs but my wife says No! :) And I agree that would bring on other problems.
From your equip list and PB research, I am just curious how he does it. You are going to have a beautiful pool !!

Hey Flatlander, trying not to hijack but, we are in the same boat. I think I've worn my wife down enough that I'm going to do the plumbing, electrical, tile/coping and deck (pavers) myself. I'm going to sub out the excavation, steel, gunite (can get a lifetime warranty on the shell if I use the same company) and finish.

From my reading the advantages of flex PVC are:

*Fewer connections to leak
*Faster to install

The disadvantages are:

*Older material has had issues with deterioration. (newer pipe any better??)
*More expensive

I'm not a pro but would guess the pro's and con's of plumbing inside and outside the gunite would be repairability. Inside the shell the plumbing must be pressured tested before gunite to make sure there are no leaks.

Looking good! I would think with that much rock your pool is going to be super solid! No worries about expanding clay! I thought I heard that flex PVC was susceptible to termite damage - or was that a different material?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome pool design neighbor :)

Flatlander I'm not sure the tubing in my spa is flex tubing, I saw the installers shapeing the PVC with a propane tank and torch to get the desired radius

@Karmann, thanks, I love yours too. I think I saw a similar tile to yours in the Noble catalog maybe "Pacific Island?" It's beautiful. We are going with the Terra Blue from there. I really like the steps you put in front of the tanning ledge (which should be renamed dog ledge in my case.) LOL! I have smaller steps, I don't think my pool is as big as yours if I remember correctly.

@bigdave and Flatlander - I took some new pics to show plumbing & steel. If I didn't get a good enough pic, just say. I think one team came a little lit earlier then the steel guys came, they were both here for a bit, then they left. I couldn't keep track of who came and went, but I think the steel guys were here last.

@ smccull - thanks! I saw Midlothian has alot of rocks too - I'm real glad that's a "good" thing.

Here it is... Sunday, and our PB came by to check out the status this morning. He has been here every day 2 or 3 times a day. I'm impressed.

I'm going to figure out adding my specs to my signature. Thanks everybody!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 3,002
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2,998
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 3,001
you're correct on our tile :) you have a very good eye because i couldn't even find it until online until i new the exact name and we were the ones who picked it out from the samples at the office haha

Noble - Pacific Island Series
6" - NWPI 662 - Kirabati Rust
1" Penny Tile - NWPI 162 Kirabati Rust

Gunite went on today! I'll post pics tomorrow.. It is starting to take shape. We had already selected the tile, I hope I like it when it's on!

:party: Tile and coping being installed today!

Pics later - I'm on a MAC, and it takes a few steps to get the pics from camera to MAC, resized, uploaded to Dropbox, then added to this site. Surely there is an easier way.. Oh well... no worries!

Here's a pic of Day 6

Rainforest Noble Tile
Flagstone nearly finished.. I like the variation in the stone.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,743
imrodee said:
Oh thanks... No plumbing just yet! The steel guys just left and I see they installed ground wire.

I am going to jump in here with a little terminology for you. The wires you see are technicaly called Bonding wires. These are a real important part of a pool build. When they do your deck around the pool look for them to be connected to the reinforcing wire in the concrete. I emphasize this as it is important for the concrete of the deck to be properly bonded to the pool itself to prevent voltage gradients from appearing. This bonding system will also be connected to the pump motor housing, diving board support sockets, ladder sockets, in pool light nitch to name the most common parts.

Nice looking build going on there. I hope you have many years of trouble free enjoyment. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.