Under construction in Waxahachie!

imrodee said:
Oh.. yeah, overflow. That would not be good. I didn't think about that.

The bobcat didn't make it today, so we called the PB and asked him to hold off on the plaster until that's finished. Our land is flat as a pancake, and the wind will blow all that dust on the new plaster. If Bobcat comes early enough, we could have the plaster crew come after. (That's what I'd like.)

well it took a full 24hrs and it wrapped up about 9am this morning just in time before I login for work :)

I agree i wouldn't want a bobcat pushing dirt around either, I even told my lawn guy yesterday to hold off on cutting my backyard until we filled the pool.

Midlothian very windy also (at least my backyard is) so it's a blessing and a curse sometimes

btw after pulling our hair out looking for pool furniture or lack of in most places I stumbled across this place

http://www.chaiselounges.com/

I don't normally buy furniture I can't touch and feel in person, but the amazing prices, buyer reviews, and the free shipping put us at ease so i placed an order this morning and est arrival is Saturday :-D

HOW DOES IT LOOK? I've got to go see your thread!!! Then I'll check out the lounges.. - Thanks for the link!! I need a couple of rafts..

I ended up ordering the Diamond Brite finish for the pool.. Midnite Blue or Tahoe Blue. PB says he can mix 2 bags of MB for every 10 bags of TB. Since I have the dark rock, and dark tile it might be perfect. Cha-CHING! Hope he gets done soon, I'm spending money like it was FREE.

Plaster tomorrow I guess.

My PB sent out the plaster guys today to change the rings around the lights and other things (..??? tubes, pipes..?) from White to a gray color. He said it would match the diamond brite color better. I felt bad, they had just put that in yesterday. Oh...... not that bad. I'm sure it's in the cost somewhere.

Plaster guys in the AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo! I'm going to sit right out there and watch too.

The plaster crew is here! We decided to go with Tahoe Blue & Midnite Blue mixed 8 to 2. We went over to another of PB's clients and saw and felt the pool. It was so pretty... SOLD! PB was here at 6:30 am explaining what all happens today. Pics later!

Test Kit results from ordinary tap water.. (for practice, and to see what is going into the pool later this afternoon. The tricky test was the TC. The water would turn clear.. I would go write it down, then magically, the water would sneak some color back in. So I added another drop, same thing, then another drop.. LOL!

This is my test results from the water from my kitchen sink. (Hopefully I did this right!)

CL - 2
BL - 4
PH - 7.8
FC - 4.
CC - .2
TC - 4.25
TA - 70
CH - 11
CYA - Black dot did not disappear

Are these numbers sort of normal for tap water? I don't know what the PB will add to get me started.. I'll just wait and see I suppose. Thanks so much!

With the FAS-DPD test, it's common for it to turn back a little pink if you let it set for a minute of two after you finish the test. When it turns clear and stays 10 to 15 seconds you're done. If it flashes clear and immediately turns back pink, add another drop.

Quite honestly.. The CL color could have just about any of the choices. I held it up to white paper... Thanks, I'll redo that test.

@DaveJ - OK, thanks

BTW, the PB will add "Startup TEC" when we get the water in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CL still looks more like the 3rd block up from the bottom - which is 2 - right? I'm headed to PS, to read up more on this.

imrodee said:
Quite honestly.. The CL color could have just about any of the choices. I held it up to white paper... Thanks, I'll redo that test.

@DaveJ - OK, thanks

Since you have the FAS-DPD test (with the powder), no need to do the OTO (color matching) test. It comes in handy to make sure chlorine is present, but is no where near as accurate as the FAS-DPD test. Just ignore it for now and give us the FC and CC numbers when asked about your chlorine.

How did you get your CL number? 11? Doesn't it go by 10 or 25 depending on sample size?

There is no CYA in tap water, so don't test that again until it has been a week from when you added CYA/stabilizer. You only have a few of those tests in your kit, so no need to waste them. :)

imrodee said:
The CL still looks more like the 3rd block up from the bottom - which is 2 - right? I'm headed to PS, to read up more on this.

Technically, the CL number you are getting from the color block should equal the TC you get from adding FC + CC from the FAS-DPD test.

You got 4 + .2 = 4.2. Can you see why we don't recommend going by the OTO test?

Also, you can use a 10ml sample with the FAS-DPD test and it makes each drop 0.5. That is plenty accurate enough and will save on reagent.

bpricedo said:
You'll definitely need some calcium to protect your plaster. And that seems like a lot of chlorine for tap water, mine was like 0.8.

I agree.. I suppose I should see what that "Startup-Tec" does to the water in the pool. Right? I've got 3 hoses going in right now.

@DaveJ - OK, thanks

---------------
Since you have the FAS-DPD test (with the powder), no need to do the OTO (color matching) test. It comes in handy to make sure chlorine is present, but is no where near as accurate as the FAS-DPD test. Just ignore it for now and give us the FC and CC numbers when asked about your chlorine.
WILL DO!
How did you get your CL number? 11? Doesn't it go by 10 or 25 depending on sample size?
CL was 2, CH was 11. I will redo the CH. My card said it should be in the 200-300 range. I did it according to the instructions on the laminated card

There is no CYA in tap water, so don't test that again until it has been a week from when you added CYA/stabilizer. You only have a few of those tests in your kit, so no need to waste them. :)
OK!!
Thank you!

imrodee said:

@DaveJ - OK, thanks

---------------
WILL DO!
CL was 2, CH was 11. I will redo the CH. My card said it should be in the 200-300 range. I did it according to the instructions on the laminated card

OK!!
Thank you!

Sorry, yes I meant CH. How did you come up with a calcium hardness of 11? How many drops did it take and what sample size did you use?

Sorry, yes I meant CH. How did you come up with a calcium hardness of 11? How many drops did it take and what sample size did you use?

Vial filled with tap water to 25 ml.
Added 20 drops R0012, mix
5 drops R0011L
Sample turned light purple/pink (not red)
added 9 drops of R0012 - water turned blue
X's 10 = 90

I didn't see that "multiple by 10" part. Seriously, I need schooling!

Better?

imrodee said:

Vial filled with tap water to 25 ml.
Added 20 drops R0012, mix
5 drops R0011L
Sample turned light purple/pink (not red)
added 9 drops of R0012 - water turned blue
X's 10 = 90

I didn't see that "multiple by 10" part. Seriously, I need schooling!

LOL! No, you don't need any schooling! I was very suspect that was what you had done based on your number. We see it happen often with people starting out with new test kits.

So, I am guessing that you got 90 this time and you probably actually got 110 (11 drops) the first time you did it? Your calcium is still a low, but better than 11!

Practice makes perfect on the tests!

Better?

Thank you aa! Whew!

Regarding the FAS-DPD. I don't understand that.

(I was never that great in chemistry.. and I'm so sorry to put ya'll thru this with me.) So the powder test DPD (?) is more accurate than trying to eyeball colors on the test kit to get the CL. Right? :study:

From Pool School:
FAS-DPD
Ferrous ammonium sulfate-N, N-diethyl-paraphenylenediamine

A titration or drop count test for both FC and CC, to find your TC add your FC and CC readings. Measures chlorine levels up to at least 25 ppm with an accuracy of .2 ppm. This is the test you want! It does not suffer from the bleach out problem that the DPD test has and is very easy to read since the color change is from red to colorless.

I promise I'll get it.. Right now I'm a little overwhelmed with the abbreviations, what they mean, and how to test for cooties.

TU in advance..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.