Removing rails

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
I have to get a new liner due to a tear in mine. It will be installed Tuesday weather permitting. The dealer doing my replacement said the only thing I need to do is drain the pool (no problem half the water is gone anyway) and remove the rails. He will do everything else. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, I popped the caps off and I don't think it's going to be so simple. The screws are all rusted and it looks like they stripped the heads during install. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do? Thanks!

Go to hardware store and get EZ outs or some similar tool for removing rusty screws.......
probably better for you to spend the time getting them out, rather than they have to do it, it could be time consuming
depending on how bad they are. Try tapping a bit into the head with a hammer first, it may work as those screws are not too big.

Now you know why he requested YOU remove them.

Since they are trashed, i guess and "easy out" may be the best solution. Get new SS screws while you are there... or order them. Try a "fastener" shop/dealer near you. It may be cheaper than HD or your local hardware store buying one and two per bag. It may even be cheaper to buy them online and pay for overnight.

:cool: Try using a pair of VICE-GRIP pliers,,you might have to go straight down on top of the bolt-screw to get a grip and turn them ,,easy outs are for when you twist heads off and you need to get the broken leftover part out..pain in rear..this should work,,good luck..

Update..... I removed all of them but 2, gonna have to have help with those. I WD-40'd them and let them sit for a bit. Charged up the hubby's power drill, found the sharpest staight head bit I could find and went at it! Hubby is out of town until Monday and new I needed to get this done. I didn't remove the rails yet because the walls are kind of flimsy now that most of the water is draining out. I sure hope it stands up until tuesday! I am going to Ace Hardware and buy all new stainless steel screws tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone!

If you are not installing until Tuesday, I would say you need to order the screws from a fastener dealer. They charge about $1.00 each for large SS screws at my hardware stores. The hardware store can tell you what size they are...LOL

You could try a smaller local pool store the collects old hardware. My LPS is full of old used hard to find stuff from when they take down an old pool with good parts.

Also. consider clamping or using string or duct tape to support the wall when its empty. If you get a big wind, it will knock down unsupported pool walls and it could damage them.

poolgranny said:
What are EZ outs and how do they work?

They are a left hand threaded bit that grabs ahold of the stripped screw to help remove it. It drills into and spins it out... maybe. They don't always work and can be considered one of your last options.

screw_extractor.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm confused on the screws, the ones I just removed are very small, maybe 1/2 inch regular phillips head (well what was left). Would I be better off getting a raised hex head so that I could get them off with a ratchet or pliers? Ace sells them for about 30 cents a piece in there fastener section. This is all very new to me so I appriciate all the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.