Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing rails

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing rails

I have to get a new liner due to a tear in mine. It will be installed Tuesday weather permitting. The dealer doing my replacement said the only thing I need to do is drain the pool (no problem half the water is gone anyway) and remove the rails. He will do everything else. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, I popped the caps off and I don't think it's going to be so simple. The screws are all rusted and it looks like they stripped the heads during install. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do? Thanks!
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing rails

Go to hardware store and get EZ outs or some similar tool for removing rusty screws.......
    probably better for you to spend the time getting them out, rather than they have to do it, it could be time consuming
    depending on how bad they are. Try tapping a bit into the head with a hammer first, it may work as those screws are not too big.
    2012 new 15' x 52" round sharkline above ground, DIY installed & BBB maintained. 3/4hp with 19" 150lb sand filter, 4 x 20 sungrabber solar heater. DIY solid piped.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you slip something under the screw heads to apply upward pressure to see you you can't get the threads to bite. I am thinking like an old stiff putty knife.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. The threads are fine, but they tore the heads up bad!! I've got maybe about 6 out, only 60 ore to go, woooo-hoooo!!!
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Now you know why he requested YOU remove them.

Since they are trashed, i guess and "easy out" may be the best solution. Get new SS screws while you are there... or order them. Try a "fastener" shop/dealer near you. It may be cheaper than HD or your local hardware store buying one and two per bag. It may even be cheaper to buy them online and pay for overnight.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

What are EZ outs and how do they work?
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Try using a pair of VICE-GRIP pliers,,you might have to go straight down on top of the bolt-screw to get a grip and turn them ,,easy outs are for when you twist heads off and you need to get the broken leftover part out..pain in rear..this should work,,good luck..
    Above ground 24'round-vinyl-14,000 gal,,1 speed-2 hp pump, 250 lb sand filter ..heated,,salted,,lighted,,decked,,with slide and pool rover jr.....
    TFP 100,,am doing the BBB thing...Wet is Wild!

8. Back To Top    #8

Update..... I removed all of them but 2, gonna have to have help with those. I WD-40'd them and let them sit for a bit. Charged up the hubby's power drill, found the sharpest staight head bit I could find and went at it! Hubby is out of town until Monday and new I needed to get this done. I didn't remove the rails yet because the walls are kind of flimsy now that most of the water is draining out. I sure hope it stands up until tuesday! I am going to Ace Hardware and buy all new stainless steel screws tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone!
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

9. Back To Top    #9

If you are not installing until Tuesday, I would say you need to order the screws from a fastener dealer. They charge about $1.00 each for large SS screws at my hardware stores. The hardware store can tell you what size they are...LOL

You could try a smaller local pool store the collects old hardware. My LPS is full of old used hard to find stuff from when they take down an old pool with good parts.

Also. consider clamping or using string or duct tape to support the wall when its empty. If you get a big wind, it will knock down unsupported pool walls and it could damage them.
    -- Guy --

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by poolgranny
    What are EZ outs and how do they work?
    They are a left hand threaded bit that grabs ahold of the stripped screw to help remove it. It drills into and spins it out... maybe. They don't always work and can be considered one of your last options.

-- Guy --

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm confused on the screws, the ones I just removed are very small, maybe 1/2 inch regular phillips head (well what was left). Would I be better off getting a raised hex head so that I could get them off with a ratchet or pliers? Ace sells them for about 30 cents a piece in there fastener section. This is all very new to me so I appriciate all the advice.
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum