Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to tell when SWG is not making chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

How to tell when SWG is not making chlorine

The insect light on my Aqua-rite system cam on wednesday. I did not have to time to check the cell until today. Its clean, but my FC was down to 2. yes, I had to drain the pool 2-3" from all the rain and I now have a seat of algae again. I will check my CYA on sat and I up my borates today as well.

but with the pump running, I don't see the tiny bubbles going form the jets. I saw them on Wed or Thurs. I just dumped some leach in to get the FC up ASAP.

So how do I know if the cell is dead? Its just over 3 years old.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to tell when SWG is not making chlorine

It is unlikely that your cell has failed, though I suppose it is possible. Often the inspect light means calcium scaling in the cell. Do a visual inspection of the cell plates and check for white crusty stuff.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is unlikely that your cell has failed, though I suppose it is possible. Often the inspect light means calcium scaling in the cell. Do a visual inspection of the cell plates and check for white crusty stuff.
    Yep, real clean. Its making bubbles now and will check the FC later.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

4. Back To Top    #4

check your stabilizer and salt level. Make sure CYA is 60-80 and salt over 2,700

I love the compuPool see through replacement cells for the T15's You can see the chlorine being produced.

To find out if the system is producing chlorine run the unit at 100% and when it clicks in it should be generating chlorine. Go by the jet closest to the pump and collect a water sample. The sample should show a higher FC than in the rest of the pool. If this is the case you know the system is generating chlorine. But I still prefer the see through cell.