Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool store test

1. Back To Top    #1

pool store test

Hi im new here posting but read alot of you guys stuff and still trying to learn. My ? is i put my pool up and while waiting for my salt in pool to dissolve I got the dreaded green water since temp were near 100 when i got to put my pool up. Ok after fighting the green finally got my pool water to clear but still had some combined chlorine since I had a chlorine smell so I tried to super shock it last nite added 4lbs of tricolor hope that got me there to the breakpoint but I just have test strips and cheap drop kit from wally world (I know going to order Taylor kit but funds are low right now ) so not sure I hit the mark any ways I took my pool water to my local pool store and had them to analyze my water but was confused with the results my test strips about 11am this morn had my FC at over 10 my TC at over 10, cya 50ppm, alk @ 80ppm Ph around 7.8 ok now i took a sample to my pool store and here are my results. (took sample about 2:30 this evening to pool store)
    FC 0.7ppm
    TC 0.9ppm
    CC 0.3PPM
    PH 6.8
    Hardness 130ppm
    ALK 0ppm
    CYA 10ppm
    Copper 0.16ppm (salt gen has copper)
    Iron 0.06ppm
    Borate 80ppm
    Salt 4000ppm (dont under stand this one since I added correct amount at startup and have pumped to waste several times look like it would be low ?)
    would like to note that pool store uses a electronic water analyzer and prints results out of computer. My ? is if I should trust there results since I have such a big diffidence from my strips they did not try to sell me a bunch of stuff just some baking soda for my ph and alk
    2016 Wilbar Venture 21' Round 54" walls
    19" sand filter 1hp. Concrete Pad base.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool store test

What size pool?
    What does the cheap Wally world chlorine test show you?
    Did you use any other chemicals other then the 4 lbs tri chlor?
    When we know that we can get better idea of you cya

But not much can be done until you get a better test kit
    Maybe the tf50 from tftestkits.com might fit budget
    Without a good test kit you can and probably will spend more on chemicals then the cost of kit and still not solve your cc issue

In the mean time read and reread pool school
    Shocking is not a one time addition of chems it is a process.
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

my pool is an 20ft round above ground 9440 gallons, well it hard to tell the wally world ph and fc test only goes to 5 on the fc and ph read low yes i used 5 1lb bag of dichlor the week before added one a day for 5 days thinking i was shocking which i wasent getting my chlorine levels up high enuff read the pool school on shocking and decided to add the 4 1lb bags of the trichlor last nite maybe i did not add enuff since i really had no way of knowing my CC levels and how much i had to raise my chlorine to get the break point. still smells a little like chlorine so I took my water to my pool store and had them to check untill funds can come for a good test kit (I get paid next week lol) but there test showed nothing like i would have expected i tested with my strips and the cheapo drop test before i left and had total diff results then my pool store did. should i trust there test or stay with my test strips because if you look at there test it does not look that bad they used an electronic test i previously post what my test shown and what there test showed just wonder why the big diff in the test and which one to trust till i can afford a good test kit myself

4. Back To Top    #4

Sad fact is you can't trust either until you have your own good test kit
    The "cheapo drop ph test will be accurate so you can adjust your ph

You can use pool calculator to figure what your cya roughly is by useing the effects tab

I would run the numbers but kind of hard on my iPod right now

You can add a specuc amount if chlorine and test an hour later to see if your test strips match your predicted outcome
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP

5. Back To Top    #5

You don't need the full TF100 test kit. It's nice... but you have most of what you need already.

You can buy the refill reagents now, because you've got all the tools you need in your HTH kit except the tiny little scoop.

At TFTestkits.net you can either buy TFTestkits reagents, which are of larger quantities, or you can buy the Taylor reagents which are a bit cheaper (~$3 each). TFTestkits are a better value though.

You need:
    R-0870
    R-0871
    R-0003
    R-0013 (CYA reagent)
    blue tiny scoop ($.15)

Add these reagents to your kit, and you're good to go.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

ok just ordered the tf-100 kit will be here sometime next week (I hope) ill update this post when I can get good readings

7. Back To Top    #7

Greatfor getting tf100
    Now take the time till it gets here to read read read read pool school
    Those are the 2 best tools to having a trouble free pool
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP

8. Back To Top    #8

You won't regret getting the TF - 100. It's the best tool you can have for your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

ok just got my TF100 test kit in today(awesome kit btw) had to wait until after church to test water if i done right here the number I got
    FC- 40PPM been high like this for at least a week and 1/2 just now got test to read that high i shocked it a week and 1/2 ago i did not know how much to put in so i added a little more then i should i guess
    CC- 1
    TT- 41 ?
    TA- 190
    CH- 170PPM
    CYA- 45-50 ISH
    PH- 8.2 Added muratic acid two days ago and it dropped to 7.4 but now has jumped back up
    now where do i go from here ?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by -solo30-
    ok just got my TF100 test kit in today(awesome kit btw) had to wait until after church to test water if i done right here the number I got
    FC- 40PPM been high like this for at least a week and 1/2 just now got test to read that high i shocked it a week and 1/2 ago i did not know how much to put in so i added a little more then i should i guess
    CC- 1
    TT- 41 ?
    TA- 190
    CH- 170PPM
    CYA- 45-50 ISH
    PH- 8.2 Added muratic acid two days ago and it dropped to 7.4 but now has jumped back up
    now where do i go from here ?
    With FC that high, your pH reading is suspect. One thing's for sure - you don't need to add any more bleach right now. And I'd turn down the saltwater generator, too. Save your reagents, there's no point testing anything but FC & CC with the FAS-DPD setup (powder and R-0871 drops) until the water is clear, there's no more CC, and you can pass an overnight loss test
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!