FC Test Pink to Brown????

May 31, 2012
Western, Wisconsin
OK so a friend of mine calls says hes got algae in his pool and wants to know what to do (specifically what I do) since he knows I don't go to the pool store and has listened to me talk about the BBB method on several occasions. I think I am making progress of pulling him from the Dark Side :goodjob:

Anyways I run over to his house with my handy dandy trustworthy TF-100 Kit(since I'm not trusting his test strips). Looking all professional in front of his kids, wife and in laws(all eager to swim) I whip out the TF-100 (Ya should have seen their faces it was priceless). I run a full set of tests sure enough FC at 2 CC at 1 Ph at 8.2 CYA 75 so I give him instructions on what to buy at the store a lot of bleach muriatic acid your typical BBB stuff...right? and tell him to call me when he gets back and is ready to go which I told him he needs to switch over to do this correctly. Meanwhile I go home to swim in my crystal clear 88 F water (is this wrong to leave them and rub it in?......OKAY, OKAY I invited his wife and family over to swim why hes at the store) I couldn't be a total ***) I left him my FAS-DPD testing supplies since I have refills coming in the next day or two anyways and he needs them more than I do.

So over the next couple of days I instruct him on the shock process (yeah he's the type that needs his hand held with things like this) anyways he shocks,scrubs filters, shocks the usual process.

He calls me Wednesday says "water is crystal clear can we swim??"
Me: "NO! now the OCLT!"
Friend " WHAT!"
so I explain he does it and passes the test yesterday morning. So I explain to him on letting FC drift back down now

Last night he calls me.."Can we swim yet?"
Me: "IDK what is your FC level?"
friend "I think 20 but I think your testing stuff is bad the water is brown!"
This goes on and on a couple of tests so not being confident in his abilities I run over to see for myself

Took water sample added powder bright pink added 40 drops of reagent went from pink to a not brown but dirty tan color and never was 100% clear I kept adding more reagent but stopped at 60 drops (felt I was just wasting reagent) CC test had no color change either so 0 there he had brought it up to a shock level of 28 per his CYA

Has anyone seen the FC test turn brown/dirty over clear? I haven't so I am confused. Is it due to such a high FC level?

Interested in your input here as I have not seen this yet. I apologize for the long post but felt the story behind it was necessary for a full picture
Other results
TA 140
CH 160

I used 1 heaping scoop as I always do of the powder (at least with my pool).

I should also clarify now reading my post when it goes from pink to its brown/tan color its still transparent that you can see through it but just looks very dirty

Thanks Butterfly yeah sometimes I think I'm too good of a neighbor...lol

Butterfly said:
Check out the Extended Test Kit Instructions: extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Funny I just went through the extended directions again which is probably the 4th time I have read through these now and I never remember seeing the comment about the test turning brown! :hammer:

Well let this be a lesson to all I guess (especially any newbies) when people here say read and re-read this is why. I read those instructions 3 times prior and missed it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.