Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want BLUE water!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

I want BLUE water!!!

Ever since I put my pool up almost 2 months ago, I have yet to get my clear blue sparkling crystal clear water!! We have been able to swim in it, but I still want it to be CLEAR BLUE. I have an Intex 16x48 pool with almost 5,000 gallons in it. I am just estimating that. The pool was given to me, so I do not have any instructions or the box the pool game with.

The levels right now are...

FC. 0
    pH. 8.4
    TA 240

I KNOW these are not right at all, but I am having a horrible time getting them right. It has just rained several days where I live (Arkansas). I put in some Algae Concentrate 3x and a shock treatment yesterday. When you walk out to the pool there is a strong odor. I have attached pictures to show the green/yellow that is still left in the pool. I have the pump running right now as well.
    I have a new filter in as well.

Please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    From South Arkansas
    Intex Above Ground Pool with small filter
    16x48
    Probably holding around 5,000 pounds

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I want BLUE water!!!

I would start by reading pool school once and then read it again. Also what kind of test kit do you have?
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

3. Back To Top    #3

Stop dumping stuff in your pool unless you know that's what it needs.
    You're just wasting money. You may as well try painting a portrait in a darkened room; you'll get paint on the canvas, but the end result is just going to be a mess.

You need a test kit so you have reliable information. And the pool store testing isn't good enough. Nor are the cheap test strips. There's a good write-up in Pool School comparing test kits. Read it. Read all of Pool School at least once, so you have some idea what's in there. Then go back and study the parts you will need: basic chemistry, recommended chemicals, and how to perform the shock process.

There's no instant miracle cure. It needs to be approached logically.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Dittos - a quality test kit and read pool school, then re-read it.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

First off..... Welcome to TFP!!!

Second...... Listen to these guys, they will have you swimming in sparkling water in no time.

Third..... Where in Arkansas are you that you've had that much rain?!?!? Next time could you send some up to NWA?
    16'x32'x52" Intex AGP
    Intex sand filter, Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

That green is algae on the floor and walls of the pool, it is NOT from the algaecide. FC is 0, so it's blooming happily right now. Plus it smells.

For the OP, do read Pool School, follow the information contained within precisely, and get yourself a proper test kit. You also need a pool brush, badly. When you shock your pool (according to Pool School), brush the floor and sides to get that algae stirred up and mixed with the water.

It should be noted that shocking the pool is not a one time event, nor is it a product that you can purchase. Shocking is a process, and it requires time, regular testing, re-dosing to shock level frequently (hourly at first), and filtering. You will continue to shock your pool until you meet ALL three criteria:

1-Combined Chlorine is .5ppm or less (you need a FAS-DPD test kit to determine this)
    2-Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) shows 1ppm or less loss (you need a FAS-DPD test for this too)
    3-Water is CLEAR

We'll help you get your pool sparkling clear, but right now you've got to educate yourself in Pool School and get your test kit on order.

We can help you limp along until the kit arrives, but we need a full set of test results. You can take your water to a pool store to be tested but keep in mind that pool store results are very often all kinds of wrong and can only be used to guestimate but it'll give us a decent idea of what's going on so we can recommend some steps right now.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Aside from the test kit, which is needed, stop using the bags and puck and just use plain old bleach or liquid chlorinator. They are the same stuff with different amounts of water. I like the large GV stuff at Wal-mart but I also buy the 10% stuff at HomeDepot. Skip the pool store, they will either sell you the wrong stuff for $$$ or the right stuff for more money.

The pool stores will tell you to add this and that... but today... you mainly need bleach. The test kit and PoolCalculator.com will tell you how much you need to add, otherwise you are just guessing and guessing is what got you a green pool. I know your pain.

Trust the PoolSchool, trust your test kit, and trust the people here to help you get it fixed without adding pucks or bags of expensive chemicals.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I took all of your advice...I have read Pool School and got a new testing kit. I got a 6-way test kit from Wal-Mart (only place we have where I live).
    My readings are as follows...
    CL....0
    BR...0
    PH....8.2
    TA....200
    Total Hardness...the water never turned red like it said it would just stayed purple so I'm thinking there is no Hardness.

So, I'm thinking I need to add HTH pH Minus for adjustment of the pH level. Then I need to add Clorox bleach for the chlorine. According to the pool calculator I need to add 41 oz. of 6% bleach of a 96 oz bottle.

What about the total hardness?
    How can I get rid of the green on the bottom of my pool? I know I can scrub it out but then it makes the water cloudy. I'm not sure my vacuum that I have will get it out.

Advice please?
    From South Arkansas
    16x48

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lrgbohler
    I took all of your advice...I have read Pool School and got a new testing kit. I got a 6-way test kit from Wal-Mart (only place we have where I live).
    My readings are as follows...
    CL....0
    BR...0
    PH....8.2
    TA....200
    Total Hardness...the water never turned red like it said it would just stayed purple so I'm thinking there is no Hardness.

So, I'm thinking I need to add HTH pH Minus for adjustment of the pH level. Then I need to add Clorox bleach for the chlorine. According to the pool calculator I need to add 41 oz. of 6% bleach of a 96 oz bottle.

What about the total hardness?
    How can I get rid of the green on the bottom of my pool? I know I can scrub it out but then it makes the water cloudy. I'm not sure my vacuum that I have will get it out.

Advice please?
    You need to know the CYA level, then you'll know what shock level is for your pool. Then you add enough bleach -lots and lots - to get FC up to shock level and you test and add more bleach every couple hours until the green is gone and the water is clear. Until you kill all the algae, it will keep reproducing, and you'll never get rid of it all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

I did the CYA test that my kit had and it said to record when the black dot was not longer able to view and the black dot never went away. So I'm not sure of the CYA levels.
    From South Arkansas
    16x48

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

So I'm not sure of the CYA levels.
    It is zero.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Aha! We have a clue!
    I did the CYA test that my kit had and it said to record when the black dot was not longer able to view and the black dot never went away. So I'm not sure of the CYA levels.
    With little or no CYA, your chlorine is being destroyed by the sun before it can do its job.

Adjust pH down. If you haven't already bought the HTh pH minus, don't. Just buy muriatic acid. While you're at the store, buy enough CYA granules ("stabilizer") to raise it 30ppm per Pool Calculator. Tie it up in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Then dump enough bleach in to get to 12.

It's all in Pool School.

14. Back To Top    #14

Get what to 12? Sorry I'm just new to all this pool stuff!
    From South Arkansas
    16x48

15. Back To Top    #15

Get what to 12? Sorry I'm just new to all this pool stuff!
    FC

16. Back To Top    #16

I already have some stabilizer and conditioner but it says to adjust chlorine levels before adding it. It also says to add to skimmer of which I do not have. This is so frustrating!
    From South Arkansas
    16x48

17. Back To Top    #17

you have no cya is what the test is telling you, if your pool was mine the first thing i would do is order one of the recommended test kits on here and then use the pool calculator and see how much miratic acid i needed to add to get the ph down to 7.5. and once that is done i would then add the amount of cya (stabilizer ) in a sock in front of the return with the pump running 24/7 and then add the correct amount of bleach for the amount of cya that you just put in, for your pool to get to 30 ppm you need to use 20 0z by weight in a sock in front of the return jet and knead it every now and then. and as soon as you are done doing that add 124 oz of bleach to get up to shock level for a cya of 30ppm which is 12 ppm fc......
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

18. Back To Top    #18

the above statement was based on a 5000 gallon pool and your vague test results
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

19. Back To Top    #19

I already have some stabilizer and conditioner but it says to adjust chlorine levels before adding it. It also says to add to skimmer of which I do not have. This is so frustrating!
    If you'd just go read Pool School....basic chemistry, definitions, defeating algae....all these basic questions would be answered already.

20. Back To Top    #20

it does have a pump correct?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast