Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'M BACK!!

1. Back To Top    #1

I'M BACK!!

Hi guys- this is Susi from East Texas again! Well as you might know we have had almost 7 straight days of rain. My pool looks awful. Just as a reminder it is an above the ground pool- 16 x 48. It is now looking yellow. I just tested it and this is what it showed:
    Free Chlorine-0
    Ph- 8.4 at least- it is bright pink.
    TA- 240 or more
    Cya- 30-50 range
    So- what do I do first? Get the Ph level down or what? We are forecast rain through next week- don't know when the sun will come out again.
    Thanks again for your help!
    Susi
    Above Ground Pool- 2011
    5500 gallons
    Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'M BACK!!

Yes, get you ph down now with Muriatic acid. Add the appropriate amount of acid to get to 7.2-7.4 then test agian in 1/2 hour and redose appropriately.

Is the pool cloudy?

If it is (and this is likely since your FC is at 0), then it is time to do the shocking process.

Let us know what questions you have.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much!on my way to by Muriatic Acid. By the way- it is not cloudy at all. Figure that out!
    Susi
    Above Ground Pool- 2011
    5500 gallons
    Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

So the yellow is a tinting but the water is still clear?

If yes, does your fill water have dissolved metals in it?

Has there been a lot of leaves in the pool lately?

Your clear but yellow water might be metals or it might be organic (like tannins from leaves).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

O wow- I hadn't thought of that. We have just had a lot of rain- but I don't see too many leaves in there right now.
    Just tested after my husband added the cyanuric acid.
    Free Chlorine-0
    ph-7.5-7.8
    alkalinity- 180-240
    CYA-0
    So what do I need to do now? Add Chlorine?
    Sure do appreciate the help!
    Susi
    Above Ground Pool- 2011
    5500 gallons
    Cartridge filter