Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: After switching from pucks to liquid, my pool has never...

1. Back To Top    #1

After switching from pucks to liquid, my pool has never...

looked this great

Before, it was 3" trichlor in the chlorinator, set to 4 or so, and always fighting high CYA, cloudy water, shocking back algae blooms and brushing 2x weekly. After getting the TF100 kit, draining half the pool and some trial and error through the early summer, I think I've got it nailed. A 3-4 second daily pour of the 10% keeps my FC at 4 or so, and a few 3" pucks set at low keeps a low dose of CYA into the pool to make up for splashout and backwashing. pH and CH good and CYA at 40-50, no visible algae on walls or steps and just brush 1x weekly for maintenance. Great site and info here, just thought I'd share

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: After switching from pucks to liquid, my pool has never.

I agree texsn95. My has never looked so clear and sparkling!!!!!!!!!!!!
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

3. Back To Top    #3

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by texsn95
    looked this great

Before, it was 3" trichlor in the chlorinator, set to 4 or so, and always fighting high CYA, cloudy water, shocking back algae blooms and brushing 2x weekly. After getting the TF100 kit, draining half the pool and some trial and error through the early summer, I think I've got it nailed. A 3-4 second daily pour of the 10% keeps my FC at 4 or so, and a few 3" pucks set at low keeps a low dose of CYA into the pool to make up for splashout and backwashing. pH and CH good and CYA at 40-50, no visible algae on walls or steps and just brush 1x weekly for maintenance. Great site and info here, just thought I'd share
    Do keep track of how many pucks eventually dissolve, as each is adding 4-6 ppm of CYA. It sounds like you have a handle on it though.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

My friends were in from the east coast last weekend and couldn't believe how "silky" and "nice" my water felt (I am using borates as well.)
    So yeah, great job BBB community In my case, since I was new to the pool, I never had the "pleasure/horror" of doing it the puck-feeder way, thanks to the advice on this site.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like it is going well...remember those pucks add cya, and cya does not magically leave the pool, except when the drain/refill fairies come by. You cya level is likely going up, so your target FC level also will be going up. Since you are at about 50 ppm right now, stop using the pucks and use the liquid chlorine to keep your FC always above 4 ppm 24/7.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.