Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test results, still 0 ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

CYA test results, still 0 ?

Forgive me if this is a silly question, I've been languishing in Baquahell for 3 yrs and am new to the chlorine numbers.

Yesterday morning I started de-gunking my pool per Jasons sticky on algea removal, I put 2 lbs of CYA in a sock in the skimmer, this morning I tried to do the CYA test and the water remained clear after I added the CYA reagent, I filled up the tube and could still see the dot. Does this mean there's no CYA in the pool? Or did I just mess up the test?
    The sock from yesterday was 3/4ths gone this morning so I put more in.
    My info
    I have a 12'X28' AG Doughboy, a little over 7900 gal. Haywood pump and sand filter
    FC-still high this a.m., it stayed a med orange color overnight.
    pH- 7.2
    Total Alk- 130

I'm ordering a "real" test kit today.

The water is still milky but is BLUE now
    12' x 28' Doughboy, partially underground, 9100 gal. Hayward pump and sand filter, Barracuda Zippy pressure side cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana
    It can take up to a week for CYA to get into the water. It's no big deal, but you don't really need to be in a hurry to get CYA in the water while you are converting, because it tends to slow the chlorine down a little, and you are already adding chlorine so often that the sunlight loss isn't an issue.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

John's right. I would even suggest adding no more until your conversion is complete.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School