Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hypothetical question.

1. Back To Top    #1

hypothetical question.

what would happen if i added 2200 lbs of baking soda to my pool? then used the reverse to get the chemistry rite again. miratic acid and borax to get the numbers back in range.

hypothetically say you did these at the same time keeping things balanced.

would you have excess of other by products in the baking soda? miratic acid? borax?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hypothetical question.

Is the 2200 lbs a typo? Your TA would get unpredictably low, and your pH would get very very high. Adding Borax would make pH even higher. It would require a dangerous quantity of MA to take everything back the other direction.

Please reply with a full set of test results, and a quick idea of your end goal. Do not put 2200 lbs of Baking Soda in your pool.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

its a hypothetical question

curiousity, fun
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

4. Back To Top    #4

You wouldn't need the Borax. You'd just use acid and aeration to lower the TA back down. What you would end up with is sodium chloride salt -- the sodium from the baking soda and the chloride from the Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid while all the carbonates would be outgassed as carbon dioxide. 2200 pounds of baking soda in 15,000 gallons then later adjusted to remove the 10,470 ppm TA would result in 58.44/84.007*2200 = 1530 pounds of salt which is 12226 ppm salt.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for entertaining me chem geek lol

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    Is the 2200 lbs a typo? Your TA would get unpredictably low, and your pH would get very very high. Adding Borax would make pH even higher. It would require a dangerous quantity of MA to take everything back the other direction.

Please reply with a full set of test results, and a quick idea of your end goal. Do not put 2200 lbs of Baking Soda in your pool.

No, the TA would get high!!!! Very high, as baking soda raises TA.

I also think it would take years to accomplish acceptable levels through aeration to remediate the created problem.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, I was being hypothetical in my answer as well, but in practice the large rise in TA would cause significant scaling, cloudiness and precipitation of calcium carbonate unless the CH were very low (20 ppm or less).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"