New IG installation--Skimmer doesn't look right?

Jun 26, 2012
Hi there,

We are in the process of having a new IG pool installed--they concrete just went in a couple days ago. I just went out to inspect the work, and am worried that the concrete contractor made an error when pouring the concrete. However, since I'm still learning about pools, I don't know how the skimmer is "supposed" to look when complete. Hoping someone can help.

Before the cement was in, we opened the skimmer by pulling the entire skimmer top (lid still screwed to the "neck"). Now that the cement is in, I am assuming that we should take the screws out to remove the lid--is that correct?

When we did this, we noticed that there is a 1 inch gap of exposed dirt/gravel and even hardened concrete between the entire skimmer top and the lower part of the skimmer. This can't be correct installation?

I don't know if this is a problem, but my gut is telling me that it is. I was hoping to get some advice before I bring it up with the contractor. I am worried that he subcontracted to concrete people who don't know what they are doing.

I have photos, but am not sure how to post them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I guess what I really want to know is if I have to have a difficult conversation with my contractor...

THanks,
Usagi

I am new to pool ownership as well, moved into a house with inground pool, and to me that looks pretty bad, not sure how that is not going to leak...........I would certainly be concerned. Hope your contractor is willing to fix that.

I'm not a pool builder, but I know my skimmers have "floating" sides to eliminate any heaving of the concrete deck. They may still need to add a part to the skimmer. Why not ask the PB to determine what he'll say. He may give you an explanation that will satisfy your concerns. I do know without the floating parts, I would have had a lot of damage done to my one skimmer over the first winter. The deck heaved upward about 1 1/2 inches during that winter. Most of it came down to about 1/4". It did damage to the coping that had to be ripped out and re-placed, but the skimmer was in good shape. Someone will probably come around and confirm or indicate differently than my guess.

So, our general contractor came out and had a look. He said that this was normal and that they would just fill it with some epoxy. Does that sound like a reasonable explanation?

I actually found a "floating neck" piece that another poster mentioned; the concrete guys obviously didn't know to attach it prior to pouring.

:(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.