Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Technichlor SWG users

1. Back To Top    #1

Technichlor SWG users

I recently started using the Technichlor SWG. Just curious as who else is using and how they like it. So far, after only a week, it seems to work nicely. Trying to see what setting will maintain a 2-3 PPM range. I am going between settings of 3 and 4 right now with a 395 gallon tub. Any replies on what your doing will be appreciated. So far I think I am going to like the freedom it gives. THX
    Barrier Reef Pacific1-Pacific color 37'9" X 14'1" fiberglass IG ~ 17,500 gallons, FHPM1.0-2 Jandy FloPro pump, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Waterco Multicyclone 16 pre filter, Jandy CV580 filter, 3 PAL-2000 RU LED lights, 1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 returns, 2" rigid pvc suction and return plumbing, BBB method, TF100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Technichlor SWG users

what is your CYA? Very important to keep that around 80ppm for SWG to protect the FC from the sun.

Also watch your pH as SWG tend to cause it to rise.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

This SWG seems to be running on a Hot Tub,mso likely very little exposure to the sun.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Only a smaller amount of CYA is required for a hot tub (that is usually covered). Around 30 ppm is a decent target. This also allows for a generally lower FC level to start off when one soaks. In a hot tub, a lower FC level (independent of CYA level) helps to avoid the smell of monochloramine that forms when you sweat ammonia in the tub. One just needs to make sure to add more chlorine right after the soak. If one doesn't soak very long, then the "boost" mode of the Technichlor may be enough, but usually one needs to manually dose and just use the Technichlor for a background level of chlorine in between soaks -- somewhat similar to the use of bromine tabs in a bromine spa. A spa has a much higher bather load than a residential pool so has much wider fluctuations in chlorine demand as a result.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

This is in a hot tub. I am really liking this technichlor. I keep it on setting 4 and it seems to hold between 2-4 PPM. I had the Chlorine about 4 ppm the other day, soaked by myself for about 45 minutes. After I exited, I checked the PPM and it was 1-2. I did not add anything to see what would happen, watching closely. The next AM it was a little stronger so I relaxed a bit, but after two full days it seems to be peaking at 2-4 on the scale. If this is the case, I will soak, add a small amount (probably an ounce) of bleach, and forget about it. Really will be nice when I am away for days at a time. I would be anxious to see others methods.
    Barrier Reef Pacific1-Pacific color 37'9" X 14'1" fiberglass IG ~ 17,500 gallons, FHPM1.0-2 Jandy FloPro pump, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Waterco Multicyclone 16 pre filter, Jandy CV580 filter, 3 PAL-2000 RU LED lights, 1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 returns, 2" rigid pvc suction and return plumbing, BBB method, TF100 Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Walleye,

Which unit do you have? The in-line or the one that is dropped into the tub itself?? I am seriously considering purchasing one to alleviate the daily dosing of bleach.
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the drop in. I thought it would be a pain but it is not at all. I wired it directly into my hot tub and it comes out a vent in my side panel. I really like it. I normally just leave it in while I use the tub. Keeps Cl at 2-3 ppm at level 3 if I use nightly or the same on level 2 if I am away for a few days. 395 gallon tub.