Baqua swamp to BBB pool conversion........maybe.

OK, Actually I'm mid conversion I think. Because I purchased the house as an estate, nobody could give me any real history of the pool. All I know is that it has been closed for at least 2 years with a mesh safety cover and by the looks of it I would be it has been a bit longer. Anyway since there was a half torn Baqua sticker on the coping and I found evidence in the form a well expired Baqua test kit in the garage I have treated the clean up so far as a baqua conversion.

Since July 1st I've been through about 80 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine and I'm finally starting to see some real progress. The filter can run 24 hours before it needs to be back-washed and I can finally see the floor in the shallow end of the pool. The first day I was dosing every hour to keep the FC above 15 and several times a day for the rest of the week. I was losing 8-10 Fc over night with CC peaking around 4.5 on the second day and have been tapering off since. This week I have not been driving out to the house in the morning to do a OCLT but will get one Friday night to Saturday morning, Current CC numbers are usually .5 after the FC drops during the day and jumping to 1.0 after the evening dose of chlorine.

Now for the questions. Does this sound like a baqua conversion or just a really dirty pool? The only thing that is really missing from the usual conversion if the tons of "goo" that I haven't seen any evidence of. The backwash water is just brown (I assume it's dead algae) no goo,slime or viable buildup in the backwash discharge area. I'm wondering since the pool sat for so long closed up that all the baqua had dissipated or died.
That leads be to the next questions since There was no real goo do I still need to change my filter sand?
When is it safe of start adding some CYA. This hot sunny weather is destroying my FC numbers during the day.

Now for everybody's favorite part, The Pictures :whoot:

Here's what I started with

Complete with aquatic residents

No dramatic clouds a definite change once the chlorine mixed in

Then It all went brown every time I brushed it for the next few days.

It settled to a sickly gray/green for about the next week.

For the last 3 days or so things are really starting to look better, the water is still green, but is clearing up. I can now see the floor of the shallow end. I'll get some more pics tomorrow and keep you all posted.

Did you ever have the water tested for the baqua presence? From what I've read here on the forum, when the baqua is low, there's less goo.

I don't know much about it, so I'll defer to the experts on the next step for you, but I did want to check that you've been clearing any solid debris from the pool bottom, right? That will help a lot.

It's a lovely pool by the way, when it's done you're going to be very pleased.

If it's been closed for 2 years, then it's at the point where it's just a "dirty pool". You may have had a touch of Baqua left, but odds say that 99% of it was gone. At this point I'd test your CYA level, and raise it to 30ppm. Then proceed shocking as normal. I would however suggest changing the sand. Not just because of the baqua...but due to the fact you don't know anything about the history. Give everything a fresh start and start over.

I did try out the test strips I found and they showed nothing in there, but they were expired by a few years so I can't place any faith in them.
I had a feeling that is was all gone, but I feel better now that you agree with my idea to add the CYA . I'll swing by the pool store tonight and pick up some chlorine and filter sand.

Leebo said:
If it's been closed for 2 years, then it's at the point where it's just a "dirty pool". You may have had a touch of Baqua left, but odds say that 99% of it was gone. At this point I'd test your CYA level, and raise it to 30ppm. Then proceed shocking as normal. I would however suggest changing the sand. Not just because of the baqua...but due to the fact you don't know anything about the history. Give everything a fresh start and start over.
+1

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.