Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a sand filter to intex pool with attached skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a sand filter to intex pool with attached skimmer

I bought the Summer Escapes 12' x 36" pool this year for my 3 and 6 year old kids. The filter/pump that came with it is very small and awful!
    Well, what can you expect for a pool that was $149 from Walmart that actually comes with filter/pump, ladder, etc.
    I invested in an Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter for $149.00 on amazon.com.

I was trying to find pictures or a way I could hook this sand filter up since I didn't have 2 holes in my pool for
    lines in and out. I found an adapter for summer escapes/intex pools for pools that have an attached skimmer basket at amazon.com
    for $19.99. I did not have to buy any hoses or anything else besides the adapter. This filter also comes with B attachments for
    summer escapes and/or other pools.

If you have any questions about this filter or need any help adding one to your pool just ask..It really took only 15 minutes to
    hook everything up. The aeration and filtration is unbelievable!

I have included a picture of my setup below...

Hicksville, NY
    4,500 18' x 9' x 52" Rectangle Intex
    Above Ground Vinyl Pool
    Intex Krystal Clear 2,800-Gallon Gallon Sand Filter
    Intex Salt-Chlorine Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding a sand filter to intex pool with attached skimmer

Looks great Noangelny

It might help readers if you post a close up picture on how you attached to the summer escapes skimmer.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I just purchased the same set up. I saw the adapter on amazon but was curious how you fit the other hose thru the wall. When I tried it the hole seemed to small. I didn't want to force it and end up ripping pool. Do I need to buy an adapter for that as well?
    Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

This is actually the one I bought it was $10.28 but it is the same exact thing! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o06_s00_i01
    You just take the little white screw ring off the top of the adapter. Push the part that has the black O ring through the bottom of the skimmer,it will seem like it is too big but it isn't (put a little Vaseline on the o ring) and push until it won't go anymore. Place your hand inside the pool skimmer basket and fasten the white screw ring on top of the adapter and screw until it is on good. Leave that white paper cartridge (that came with your pool) out and put the skimmer basket back in. Replace the top of the skimmer and your done. Now you take the B part that comes with this sand filter and screw it onto the (adapter you bought )bottom of skimmer, tighten the grey screw on the B piece it until you feel it is secure. Than attach the hose (that came with the filter) to the part of the pump that has the skimmer basket in front of it. Tighten the grey screw until secure. It should look like in my picture. From the pool to sand filter. If your pool doesn't have a skimmer basket and has 2 holes for in and out this sand filter comes with those hoses and pieces as well.
    Hicksville, NY
    Above Ground Vinyl Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

For the out hose? The water that filters into the pool? (through the wall) I actually took off the hose and original pieces that came with the pool. I took the OUT filter (this piece comes with the sand filter) unscrewed the pieces and put the large round filter head (has a small nozzel- to direct water up/down) on the inside of the pool. Push the threading part through original hole (it will seem tight) but it fits (use Vaseline). On the outside of the pool you attach the remaining parts of the OUT filter which has that grey lever (that looks like a T) and tighten the grey screws. Hook up remaining hoses and put sand in the filter make sure everything is nice and tight and your done!
    Hicksville, NY
    Above Ground Vinyl Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Everything came out great . Filter is so much better then the one it comes with. If you set the timer on this filter will it automatically come on daily? Thanks for responding and helping out.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am looking to do the same similar setup. What are you doing for chemicals?? Currently I have an intex salt system and would like to keep using it.. is that possible??
    Smithfield, NC
    Summer Escapes 18' x 48" Pool
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter / Salt Water System

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by f150donovan
    Currently I have an intex salt system and would like to keep using it.. is that possible??
    It should work. Are you talking about a separate intex salt generator, or the one that is built in with the pump and filter?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was looking at this one. Please forgive me, I don't know a lot about pools. It doesn't look like it has a generator with it. Currently I have a separate Intex salt system, and would like to keep using it so I don't lose that money.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... r/19336119

If it has a generator with it, its a plus. If not, I already have one to use.

Help?!?! lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smithfield, NC
    Summer Escapes 18' x 48" Pool
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter / Salt Water System

10. Back To Top    #10

No, that sand filter/pump combo does not include a SWG. I have that same 1600gph on a 15x48 Intex. Ran two cartridge filters previously just to get enough filtration.

It works like all kinds of awesome. I'm very pleased with the sand filter. Mah pool never looked better. You won't be disappointed.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

11. Back To Top    #11

Better to keep the swg separate from the pump IMO, since they never fail at the same time.

12. Back To Top    #12

Not to mention, cheaper. Have you seen the price on that sucker at the Intex site? Nearly $600 (would be with sales tax for certain).
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.