Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what is a better pump

1. Back To Top    #1

what is a better pump

Looking at the Hayward matrix and the Hayward powerflo 2 can someone tell me which is a better pump. I know the matrix is a little more expensive but are there really that much difference.
    24x52 sharkline heritage agp,Hayward power flo lx 1h/p,Hayward s210 sandfilter, and tf100 test kit
    BBB method and pool rover jr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what is a better pump

I believe the matrix is a bit more efficient (gpm/watts). If you are buying a new pump, I highly recommend getting a 2-speed! On low speed the pump will take about 1/2 the energy to move the same amount of water as high speed. The matrix 2-speed 1 hp is a great pump...it is the one I have.

If you tell us about your pool, filter and plumbing we can suggest a good match for it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

24x52 sharkline I I have decided to go with the Hayward s210T pro series filter and a 1h/p pump. I was going to use the intex 2650 sand filter I have but it come apart at the hose to tank connection so I am sending it back to amazon and ordering the new sand filter and trying to decide which pump to buy. Funds are getting thin that is why I did not include any two speed pumps. So if you could just steer towards a cheaper but good pump.
    24x52 sharkline heritage agp,Hayward power flo lx 1h/p,Hayward s210 sandfilter, and tf100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Then a good lower cost single speed pump would be the Matrix SP1591 3/4 hp that can be had online for around $200 with shipping included.

For $50 more you can get the 2-speed Matrix SP15922S 1 hp pump.

If you wanted to go even cheaper you could look at something like this:http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pools.../PSP1075-6.htm...though I have no experience with it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

how about the ecopump?
    16'x38' white fiberglass 16,000 gal
    1.5 HP hayward w/ timer
    sand filter
    led lights w/ photocell
    intellichor
    dolphin robot
    tf-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have a link? All the ecopumps I can find are expensive (greater than $700).

7. Back To Top    #7

Then a good lower cost single speed pump would be the Matrix SP1591 3/4 hp that can be had online for around $200 with shipping included.
    I have found the matrix sp1592 for around 160.00 on amazon

8. Back To Top    #8

That 1 hp SP1592 is a lot of pump for your filter. Even the SP1591 is more then you need, but at least a better fit.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have an old Powerflo 2 (3/4 HP) that I'm keeping around as a spare pump - I actually used it for 2 weeks last summer inbetween a 1.5 HP Superpump that the motor failed / rusted out and the replacement SuperFlo 1.5 HP that is installed right now. Only difference I can see on the manuals / sales brochures is that the Matrix is a newer design. Either one should do a fine job for your pool / filter. You probably don't need any more than the 3/4 HP models in either case, IMO.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks went with the powerflo lx 1hp and Hayward s210 filter on . Went with the 1 HP cause I am going to do waterfall and auto cleaner.