Just setup and turned on Intex SWG

Well I would go up a couple hours longer, then back off if you need to, at 60 ppm cya you never want to be below 3 ppm FC with a swg.

Also, I would dose up with bleach to 3 ppm then have the swg take over from there.

MikeInNH said:
Seems the water needs to get good and mixed. Swimming works great for mixing it.

This is good advice, I read a lot of the comments on Amazon before I purchased the unit and this was one of the most given advice, to wait at least 24 hours after adding salt before turning on. If you just added the salt and turned it on, I bet this is your issue :)

linen said:
Well I would go up a couple hours longer, then back off if you need to, at 60 ppm cya you never want to be below 3 ppm FC with a swg.

Also, I would dose up with bleach to 3 ppm then have the swg take over from there.

I have been adding bleach as you described to get it above 3ppm in the evenings but sometimes let it work alone to see what level it is working at.

Just to give a brief update. My wife couldn't find CYA at Home Depot and didn't have time to run around to different stores so she stopped at a Pool Store and bought a gallon because they said the powder would take more than a week to dissolve and we wanted this in immediately.

I had turned on the SWG before I went to work, it still had the Code 91 but I left it running figuring maybe the water needed to be "churned" some more and I might get lucky. lol I got home from work and checked the pool. The SWG was still running and DIDN'T show the Code 91! It was running with a green light. I switched it to run for 3 hours which is what Intex said it should be running for. I will check the water tomorrow morning when I hit the pool store with a water sample. Fingers crossed that this thing created FC and now with 1/2 gal CYA I might be lucky and have a swimmable pool by morning. :)

Will post my results when I get back in the morning.

Thanks again everyone. Already started reading Pool School and will finish it this weekend at least once. Going to have my wife read it as well.

Larry

AGP_Spokane said:
MikeInNH said:
Seems the water needs to get good and mixed. Swimming works great for mixing it.

This is good advice, I read a lot of the comments on Amazon before I purchased the unit and this was one of the most given advice, to wait at least 24 hours after adding salt before turning on. If you just added the salt and turned it on, I bet this is your issue :)

I added the salt then ran the pump 24 hours before turning on the SWG.

spdrcr5 said:
The SWG was still running and DIDN'T show the Code 91! It was running with a green light. I switched it to run for 3 hours which is what Intex said it should be running for. I will check the water tomorrow morning when I hit the pool store with a water sample. Fingers crossed that this thing created FC and now with 1/2 gal CYA I might be lucky and have a swimmable pool by morning. :)

Great news :cheers:

Some other good advice with the unit is to disconnect the copper ionizer from the unit. If you keep the FC level at recommended levels there is no need for it. Our Copper level is at 1ppm and my daughters beautiful blond hair has been getting green streaks lately. I have since disconnected it and trying to deicide if I want to do a partial drain or use a sequestriant.

I brought a water sample to a pool store near me. I don't know if the guy was drunk, stoned or still asleep. But he was a complete idiot. He kept measuring things and NOT telling me the numbers! He went through all of the pool water. I kept asking him for numbers and he said they are good. I asked for Salt, he said 2,900 ppm. I asked about Ph, he said 7.6. Those are the ONLY numbers he could recall! I took another water sample and will go to another pool place. Will take another sample in the morning and have them both tested at the same time so I have a comparison.

Which cable do I unplug to turn off the copper? My daughter has blonde hair and I certainly don't want a 2yr old with green hair! :(

Thanks again for the help. As soon as I have REAL numbers I will post them.

Larry

I had the water tested this morning at a different pool place

FAC: 2.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 80
CYA: 30
Calcium Hardness: 150
Salt: 3,000ppm

My pH went up from 7.6 and the Salt went up from 2,900. It has been raining lightly off and on since last night. I was told the rain water should lower the pH. Have to assume it will do the same for all of the numbers, right?

I set my SWG to run for 5 hours and the pump 6.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
spdrcr5 said:
Which cable do I unplug to turn off the copper? My daughter has blonde hair and I certainly don't want a 2yr old with green hair! :(

It is the plug on the left side of the clear tube if you are looking at it from the front. You should be able to see a copper block inside the tube that it is connected to. Just unscrew the black ring and unplug it and of course just screw the black ring on and you are good to go.

Yours is a great example of the problem with pool store results. If you put your whole gallon of liquid stabilizer, then you FC should be close to 70 ppm, and it should have shown up quick since it was the liquid. CYA is one that pool stores ofter get wrong.

Did you order a test kit?

spdrcr5 said:
My pH went up from 7.6 and the Salt went up from 2,900. It has been raining lightly off and on since last night. I was told the rain water should lower the pH.
Do you have any areation going on right now such a misting pool cooler? SWG's tend to drive up ph, but your TA is pretty good. Bring the ph down to 7.2 and that will lower TA some more...at some point it should stabilize.

spdrcr5 said:
I was told the rain water should lower the pH. Have to assume it will do the same for all of the numbers, right?
Hard to say...depends on how much you get, how hard it hits the pool, etc....often times it doesn't change much since the volume is small.

I ordered the TF-100 test kit along with the Salt test strips. Should have it in a few days and will run all of the tests and post the results.

I am going to let the pool just run for a few days and test everything once I get the kit then make any adjustments then.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Larry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.