Got my TF-100 and the results are in

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
and they are not great, although I suspect the 3" of rain we've had today (and 5" this past week) might be skewing the results. Our pool is barely two weeks old, so that might also be skewing some of the results. Anyway, here are the results

FC: 1 (clearly low)
pH: over 8 (high)
TA: 60 (a little low)
CH: 130 (seems awfully low)
CYA: ~30 (still getting the feel for this test, but think this is a good result) - I'd expect the CYA level to be relatively low since the pool is new

So let me take a stab at what I should do to correct the above (using the Pool Calculator as my guide). Firstly, I added 182 oz of 6% bleach to raise the FC from 1 to 6. Next, I added 53 oz of 31.45% acid to lower the pH. My next step is to re-test tomorrow, particularly pH, TA and CH. After I re-test pH, then I can decide if I need to add more HCl and then I can decide how to address the TA.

The CH results don't seem right, but maybe they are for a new pool? CYA levels are perhaps a little low, but not too concerning.

Also, the water is extremely clear right now, no cloudiness to speak of. I have been adding bleach every day based on strip test results, so the FC levels have been maintained. I am running the pump from 9 am to 7 pm right now.

1. Lower your pH to 7.4 or so.

2. Get more chlorine in your pool....6ppm is fine

3. Your CYA should be @ 50ppm or so. I would increase it to that

4. New pools tend to be somewhat high in calcium....I am surprised your calcium is low, too. I suggest you ad enough to get to 200ppm and monitor it to see if it rises further over the next 60 days.

How do you intend to chlorinate the pool?

I am using 6% bleach to chlorinate. I looked into the 10% chlorine at the hardware store and it's priced worse on a unit basis, so will buy the 182 oz jugs of 6% bleach. I can store 10-15 of those jugs fairly easily, so I should always have enough on hand.

I am going to do another round of tests tonight and see if the results are consistent with yday's results. If so, then I will address the CYA and calcium accordingly. I will need to get both of those chemicals at the pool store, right?

Thanks for the feedback.

AaronGo said:
I am using 6% bleach to chlorinate. I looked into the 10% chlorine at the hardware store and it's priced worse on a unit basis, so will buy the 182 oz jugs of 6% bleach. I can store 10-15 of those jugs fairly easily, so I should always have enough on hand.

I am going to do another round of tests tonight and see if the results are consistent with yday's results. If so, then I will address the CYA and calcium accordingly. I will need to get both of those chemicals at the pool store, right?

Thanks for the feedback.
The CYA (stabilizer) and Calcium are available at Walmart, if that is more convenient. They will be in the section with Purple bottle tops, along with pH control products.

Thanks, that works. Considering they are going to be cheaper, I'll make time to get them at Walmart. I've got a few gallons of muriatic acid, so will burn through that first, but I know that is also sold at big box hardware stores.

Did another round of tests just now:

FC: 2 (adding 149 oz of bleach to get to 6)
pH: 8 (adding 32 oz of acid to get to 7.4)
CH: 135 (consistent with yday's result, going to add 173 oz CaCl to get to 200)
CYA: 35 (going to add 36 oz to get to 50)

I am going to add the CaCl in three phases so I can test the next day after each phase. I am going to add the stabilizer in two phases. I will re-test the TA tmro after I add some acid tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.