Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: white water mold!!!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

white water mold!!!!!!!

I have white water mold or that is what my pool store says. Based on all the posts that I have read I know it is not common in chlorine pools but I am starting to think that it is! I did two bags of shock right into the skimmer like they told me and yes it eat it for dinner. Another pool store told me to use a clarifier to pull it together but that didn't work. I have made it so fine that you can't really skim it and forget vaccuming it that is like impossible. Not to mention after a few hours I have to take the Hayward DE Filter apart to clean the finger that are covered in this stuff. It makes the pressure horrible in the pool so the filter is like it isn't running. Is there away to get rid of this and no that it is gone cause it is the 3rd week in July and I am exhausted already. I am a single mom that doesn't have the time or money for this but if you think there is hope I will stick with it!
    Semi inground Esther Williams Millenium, 15,000 gallons
    About to build out the surrounding deck.
    Bioguard when I feel like spending, Namco when I don't.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: white water mold!!!!!!!

There is absolutely a way to get rid of it. Chlorine is the answer. Bleach is the weapon of choice.

Read pool school on the proper method to shock. In order to shock properly you'll need a good test kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you using chlorine now? I had water mold when I was using baquacil, and I don't think I ever got rid of it fully until I switched to chlorine.
    16'x32' -> 3' shallow, 8' deep ~22,000 gallon igp - Vinyl Liner.
    Sand Filter: Jacuzzi 225l-7 Sand Filter - 250lbs
    Pump: Hayward Max-Flo XL 1hp
    SWG: CircuPool RJ+ 60
    Water Source: Home Tap water (TA:230, CH:220)

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I use chlorine. There isn't any in the pool right now. I shut my filter off last night and oddly enough my pool looks different I can at least see the bottom.Which looks like it has alot of gray powder. My concern is the hoses and the vaccum.Also the filter fingers. Do I clean them in chlorine also? And what is OCLT and ppm and Fc I have never seen these things? What do you recommend as a good test kit my pool store suggest the test strips. Also do you recommend my trying to use one of those stocking basket catchers because once that stuff goes through my filter the fingers get covered and the filter pressure goes way down.
    thanks
    Semi inground Esther Williams Millenium, 15,000 gallons
    About to build out the surrounding deck.
    Bioguard when I feel like spending, Namco when I don't.

5. Back To Top    #5

The Pool School has most of your answers. From Definitions and Abbreviations you can see that FC is Free Chlorine which is what is measured in better test kits. OCLT (which should be added to the Definitions and Abbreviations list -- Jason or someone, can you please do that?) is the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. The test kit to get is either the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 where you can see the Test Kits Compared and can order from TFTestkits.com.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"