First pool. First real test. Advice please!

Jul 12, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I recently bought my first home with my first pool. Knowing nothing about pools I have just been following the brief instructions from the previous owner and testing with cheap strips from the pool store. I got my Taylor 2006 in the mail and did my first round of tests:
FC 3.4 (zero CC)
pH 7.7 (in between 7.6 and 7.7 outside looking through the sample at the bright sky) do you use lights?
TA 120
CYA 70
I have read through all the beginner stuff and browsed around but hope to get some specific advice.
1. When testing FC should I use the 25ml or 10ml sample? My results varied when done back to back. FC tested higher when using the 25ml
2. The trichlor tablets have been used exclusively for years along with a tablet floater. With my pool getting direct sun for pretty much the entire day, should I switch to liquid to keep my CYA from rising? I already bought a 50lb tub of tablets so I hate to waste them but I also don't want to drain half the pool later on. Should I also abandon the floater?
3. My pump pressure sometimes drops about 10psi for short times. I only notice this because my Polaris stops moving around as much. If I check back in an hour the pressure is back where it was after I cleaned the filter and added fresh DE. Maybe a clog somewhere?

Thanks so much for any advice. I promise I have been reading A LOT on here but some people have different opinions on certain things. Just looking for a point in the right direction. Loving the pool!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Nice job on getting a good test kit.

1. No reason to use the 25ml sample. 0.5ppm accuracy is plenty.
2. You need to abandon the floater and the in-line feeder and switch to liquid. Your CYA is already above what we would recommend.
3. That is a little odd. Any chance your water level is low and the skimmer starts sucking air? Is there air in the filter (open the valve on top with the pump on to check)?

Continue to read Pool School and threads. And of course ask questions as they come up.

Welcome to TFP!

1) Use the 10 ml sample, so that each drop counts as 0.5. You need to do the test fairly rapidly, and the larger sample takes more drops which takes more time and can lead to problems. Besides 0.5 is plenty of precision for pools.
2) Yep, your CYA level is already high enough. You can probably use more tablets next spring.
3) A clog, or air getting into the pump strainer basket. Check the pump when the polaris stops and see if the basket has a lot of air in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.