Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stonescapes color variation - will this go away??

1. Back To Top    #1

Stonescapes color variation - will this go away??

I recently had a full remodel done on my pool and went with Stonescapes mini pebble - Topics Blue.

The pool finished filling last Saturday and i've been brushing it twice a day since then. There is still alot of color variation especially on the deep end walls and floor. Tuesday, while I was at work the plaster company came out and dumped in a bunch of acid. The only reason I know this is because test results went from TA of 80 to 0 and pH of 7.0 to off the charts low. Confirmed with PB when I saw results that's what they probably did. Anyway I am not happy with the finished product.

See pictures below and ignore the green-ness. It looks perfectly blue in the daylight. My camera and the pool light just didn't agree, but the variation is very evident.

Overall the surface is smooth and it appears to be a decent job aside from the splotchiness and variation. Do i need to wait longer? Am I being impatient or unrealistic with my expectations?

Thanks for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    26,000 gallon IG Free Form
    StoneScapes Mini Pebble plaster (Tropics Blue)
    Pentair 1.25 HP WhisperFlow Pump
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter
    Hayward Heater
    Polaris 280 Cleaner & Booster Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stonescapes color variation - will this go away??

One more pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter
    Hayward Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Some variation in pebble finishes is normal. That said what I'm seeing in your pix seems excessive.

Did the installers acid wash after installation?

Oh yes, if there's no bypass on the heater, the acid they added is actively eating away your heater's heat exchanger
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback Qwaxalot. The PB agrees the variation is excessive and has the plaster contractor working on it. He mentioned a no drain acid wash but they haven't done that yet. Whatever they did this morning while I was at work improved the appearance some.

I also shut off the pump to prevent heater damage.
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter
    Hayward Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm glad your PB agrees; that makes everything easier. It looks bad!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Wanted to give an update to "close out" this issue for those who may be considering Stonescapes. The PB agreed the surface needed work and had the plasterer work on it over several days. They spot treated several areas and also kept the PH low. To my surprise what they did made the surface look fantastic. I don't have any pictures because it has been raining alot since then but take my word for it, I am now satisfied. Throughout the whole remodel I was always polite but firm and kept an open mind. We ended up with a beautiful pool. Thanks for the comments alone the way.
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter
    Hayward Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad to hear it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden