Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Sws owner/ slimy pool walls/ low fc

1. Back To Top    #1

New Sws owner/ slimy pool walls/ low fc

I am new to the Sws. We have a 14x42 intel pool with the Sws. Just a few days ago the walls became slimy where the sum doesn't hit. I tested the pool today and I have a reading of 0 FC and a PH of 7.2 my salt water level is reading 2260 ppm. The Sws runs for 1 hr and we have boosted it twice! Should I add more salt? Can I add liquid chlorine? Do I add algaecide? I have a three way tester do I need to test something else? No quite sure what to do. I have read so many different things ..... Thanks!
    12,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: New Sws owner/ slimy pool walls/ low fc

Welcome to tfp, Mjbjlemu

What does your water look like?

With no chlorine in your pool you are at risk for getting you have found out (the slimy stuff most likely).

You will need to do the shocking process. During shocking leave your swg (saltwater chlorine generator) portion of your system off and just use bleach/liquid chlorine to raise and hold the chlorine level above you FC shocking level.

Test kits: to do the shocking process most efficiently you will benefit from a approapriate test kit. See: I prefer the TF-100, most bang for buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjbjlemu
    Do I add algaecide?
    No, algaecide is best used to prevent algae and is generally not needed when proper chlorine levels are maintained.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

To add to what linen said ...

You need to follow the shock process. To do that correctly you need a good test kit.
    To start the process, you need a CYA level of around 30ppm CYA to protect the FC from the sun.

When you finish the process, you need to raise your CYA up around 70-80ppm, get your salt level in range, and then likely be running your SWG for a LOT longer than 1 hour.

While waiting, read through Pool School (button at the upper right of the page) a few times.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

New Caney, Texas

After you go through the Shocking Process as linen pointed out you need to run the SWCG more than what you are.

On mine I run mine 3 hours a day with a CYA level of 50, I know this is below the recommended cYA level but for now my pool stays clear and maintains a FC level of 9 ppm.

Your salt level is also below the Intex recommended amount.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School