Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I be seeing any particles in the water at all ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I be seeing any particles in the water at all ?

I am using a DE Pentair 2000 (discontinued) and in daylight the water looks great, sparkling clean. The chlorine and Ph are good. However, at night, if I put the pool light on, you can see particles in the water. I ran the pump for 24 hours (normally I run for about 6 hours and if people are in the pool) and the water looks the same, I can see particles in the water. Last Saturday I cleaned the filter, taking the filters out, hosing them down and added the required amount of DE. The pressure looks good. So, is the filter not cleaning properly or should I expect to see some particles in the water ?

I just started looking after my pool myself. I reckon it is about 15,000 gallons.
    15,000 gallons, IG, Plaster, Pentair 2000 DE Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I be seeing any particles in the water at all ?

You will see some particle in the water, even with DE Filtration. DE is better than Sand, but cartridges are better than DE at filtering out the fine stuff. There are trade offs all along the way.

Just try and enjoy it.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Floaters are normal.

If you get dust on your car, on the windowsills, and on the patio furniture, you're going to have it in your pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    You will see some particle in the water, even with DE Filtration. DE is better than Sand, but cartridges are better than DE at filtering out the fine stuff. There are trade offs all along the way.

Just try and enjoy it.
    Hmm. That is opposite of what I've read. Cartridge filters can filter down to about 20 micron particles, but DE, or better, DE replacements like cellulose, can filter down to 2 microns. I used to see "floaters" in the pool, but then switched over to cellulose filter media in my DE filter, and now my water is perfectly clear. If you look at the pool light at night, there are no obvious particles in the water. So, with proper chlorination and filtration, it is possible to minimize particulates in the water.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.