Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Equipment Pad Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Equipment Pad Question

Am I being too picky or does this look like ****?

The other side that isn't pictured has a large amount of gunite ooze that has now hardened also.

I asked the PB to at least make the pad square and remove the excess gunite from the edges but I'm getting some resistance I think.
    Martin,
    Midlothian, TX
    Pool built in August 2012, 17.2k gallons, IG Gunite/PebbleTec (Midnight Blue), 1k sq ft Washed Aggregate decking, Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump shared with Spa, Aqua-Pure Salt-Gen, Jandy 1.5hp wtr feat pump, Jandy CV580 Cart Filter, Jandy AE3000TR Heat Pump w Chiller, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Jandy Pool (2) and Spa (1) Multi LEDs, 2 Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl 3' sheer descents and spa spillway

Click Here For My Pool Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

your the customer

if there's a problem you should let pool general contractor know ASAP and before you make final payment. gunite contractors normally drape everything because the stuff flys during application. overspray is not unusual and probably happens on most pool jobs. it shouldn't be an issue to fix easily and quickly.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Equipment Pad Question

I thought you were complaining about the plumbing ... which I thought looks pretty well done.

Then I see all the concrete on the pipes and all over the ground ... were the installers blind? That is a ridiculous mess.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I personally think the plumbing looks like a nightmare waiting to happen, since they left no space between all those expensive valves to splice in a repair when a leak happens. This is a common problem with new pool constructions the contractors love to plumb things as compactly as possible, but this means you must rip it all out and replace for one minor leak sooner or later, I would much rather see fittings spaced out over 2 -3 times that much space leaving room to cut out and replace sections when needed.

Ike.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

True ... why did they have to put the valves right at the top by the fittings with so much free pipe below them? That would have helped some even if they were not spread out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally, I wouldn't have them cut down the pad. It gives you room for equipment expansion or a place to store stuff off the ground (you may already have a lot of that, but I don't).

The **** to the right of the pad and all over the pipes is horrendous though. I'd definitely complain and if he's all "that's normal, blah, blah", do a Really good job of guilting him into cleaning it up: "Its Normal for you to leave a job site so *****? I wish I would have known before I chose you as a builder that you did things like this. I'm sure other builders don't do that. Perhaps other people would like to know that you leave your job sites looking like a dump truck drove up and dumped all over them." You get the picture.
    24' round 15,000 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks for the opinions everyone, spoke with the builder and he said the clean up crew will def take care of all the "extra" gunite everywhere. It seems to peel off the pipes pretty easy also so I think I'm good there.

Barbja, the extra room is for my heat pump that hasn't arrived yet but my fingers are still crossed everything will fit on the pad
    Martin,
    Midlothian, TX
    Pool built in August 2012, 17.2k gallons, IG Gunite/PebbleTec (Midnight Blue), 1k sq ft Washed Aggregate decking, Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump shared with Spa, Aqua-Pure Salt-Gen, Jandy 1.5hp wtr feat pump, Jandy CV580 Cart Filter, Jandy AE3000TR Heat Pump w Chiller, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Jandy Pool (2) and Spa (1) Multi LEDs, 2 Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl 3' sheer descents and spa spillway

Click Here For My Pool Build Thread

8. Back To Top    #8

Rather sloppy as far as the aesthetics... I sure hope he cleans it up!! Can't help you on the rest.. (newbie)
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

9. Back To Top    #9

From the scale of everything in the pic, it appears to have plenty of space either for a heater or heat pump. I agree with the issue regarding how closely the valves are plumbed. But, keep in mind that you can use 2.5" connectors with 2.5 to 2.0" bushings to fix any problems that might arise. The 2.5 inch connector can fit over each Jandy Neverlube port, a nice feature of those valves that I've had to take advantage of. Overall, looks like quite a complex plumbing job.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

10. Back To Top    #10

I think the plumbing looks great. A little close together but you can't have everything. As far as the concrete all over the ground and the pipes..that is unacceptable.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits