Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Correct Location to Add pH Minus

Correct Location to Add pH Minus

Does anyone know if it matters where I add my pH minus when needed? I have been slowly pouring it into my pumps skimmer basket, but wanted to make sure that is correct. Thanks for the help.
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

Re: Correct Location to Add pH Minus

Straight outta Pool School:
    Dry acid is sold by pool stores and the pool departments of some big box stores. Dry acid is sold under various names, including PH Down, PH Reducer, PH Decreaser, Lo-n-Slo, etc. Dry acid is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.
    What you don't want is a pile of acidic powder settling in your metallic heater etching the metal and creating leaks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!