NEED NEW BRUSH (Originally:what kind of pool do I even have?

Oct 27, 2011
Orlando, FL
My first couple of weeks with the TF-100 are going well. The clearer the water, the more the stains are bothering me. I seem to have very high CH, close to 500. My fill water is about 160 and it rained a lot recently, so I don't get it. Pool store testing for the last year or so was never over 400. I hope I'm making a mistake, but I did just receive the Speedstirr and if anything it went even higher! I know in general about CSI, pH, and TA, and I'm sure I'll back with more questions once I tackle chemical balancing.

Before I get into the details of fixing that and balancing the water perfectly, I think it would be a really good idea to find out what I even have! I thought I have a "gunnite" pool, but then I read that's just the vessel, not the surface. So I have no idea what surface I have. I am putting up some pictures, and I have the following questions. Let me know if any or all can be answered by these pics. Thanks!

1. What kind of surface do I have?
2. What are those large swaths of staining?
3. What are those tiny stains that are popping up (about 4 or 5) - less like stains, more like a hole in the surfacing.
4. What else can I provide to get better advise in this regard?

(these are the same pictures as below, just better size and one more)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66539646@N ... hotostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66539646@N ... hotostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66539646@N ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66539646@N ... otostream/

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 149
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 149
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 149
Re: High CH, but what kind of pool do I even have?

You appear to have a plaster finish over a gunite pool. You also appear to have some scaling and staining of the finish. You will need to get the CH down, which can only be done by replacing water. To get your CH between 250 and 350 is going to require at least half the water be changed.

The water table in your area may be very shallow, so be careful when emptying water from your pool. Some have had luck pumping water off the top, with a hose feeding replacement water to the bottom. You can also do multiple water changes of a smaller percentage, but it will take a while.

Re: High CH, but what kind of pool do I even have?

Identify the stain positively first.

Hold a tri-chlor puck directly on the stains for a minute or two....if the stain disappears or is lightened noticeably, your stains are organic and can be treated one way

If that doesn't work, crush up the cheapest vitamin C tablets you can find, put them in an old sock and then anchor them down directly on the stain for 3-4 minutes. If it removes or noticeably lightens the stain, they are almost surely calcium and can be treated a different way.

Post back your findings.

NEED NEW BRUSH! (High CH, but what kind of pool do I even ha

Reviving this old thread: I have been living fine with the current level of staining. I have used the BBB method (liquid chlorine from the pool store and muriatic acid and nothing else, really) to keep the water balanced. It's so easy. Plenty of summer rains have replaced enough water to get the calcium from near 500 to 350. I'm keeping an eye on the constantly up-drifting pH level. If I get restless or bored, I will tackle the staining one day, but I'm content just keeping it where it's at for now and hoping the proper chemicals might help a bit.

Here's my mundane question of the day - I need a new pool brush. Seeing that I believe I have a Diamond Brite surface or other quartz (is there other quartz??), is the best brush a 50/50 nylon/stainless? Or would the stainless steel hurt the surface over time?

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.