Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new solar panels & new filter leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

new solar panels & new filter leaking

Okay, so today I finally finished the install of my new Sunheat collectors (4x20) with my new Hayward EC-50 DE filter, and at soon as I started the pump one collector has a "pin hole" in it. Also if that wasn't enough, the factory installed fittings on the filter are leaking as well (3-5posible drops every 10.sec). How can i fix the collector? Should i mess with the filter? I though of draining the filter, removing all of the factory fittings, clean all of the teflon tape and reinstall everything using pvc glue. Any advice?
    Intex Ultra Frame 24' Round
    Sun-Heater 4'x20' Solar Heater
    Hayward EC-50 D.E Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new solar panels & new filter leaking

Quote Originally Posted by traxx2003
    How can i fix the collector?
    I would call/emal the manufacturer, they might replace it or at least send a repair kit. My sungrabbers have little "plugs" that you put in the leaking tube.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx2003
    Should i mess with the filter? I though of draining the filter, removing all of the factory fittings, clean all of the teflon tape and reinstall everything using pvc glue. Any advice?
    If you will winterize, the pool I might wait till then since the leak is pretty slow. If the fittings are leaking at threads, then will need to take them apart and either remove and reapply the teflon tape (I use 3 full wraps of wide tape) or use a teflon paste.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.