Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are you automating?

1. Back To Top    #1

What are you automating?

I have a Goldline Pro Logic PS4 controller on the way, and now I'm having second thoughts as to whether or not I should have got the PS8 instead. Here's what I would like to control:

- 2-speed pump (takes 2 circuits)
    - waterfall pump
    - pool lights
    - spa blower

So, I really need 5 circuits, which is of course why they sell them with 4 or 8 I'm sure. Now, my spa blower has an air switch but the tubing has cracked so it doesn't work. If I can replace the tubing, then I could eliminate that from the controller and everything will work out.

If I get the bigger controller, what are some other things I should consider automating, so 3 circuits aren't going to waste? Or, is there something I should consider dropping from my list because in your experience it isn't worth it to automate?

BTW - I wish Pentair made a decent remote like the Aquapod or the Jandy PDA, because their system would have fit perfectly since they don't require 2 circuits for the 2-speed pump. But my wife and I really like the PDA style remote.
    10k gal gunite inground w/ raised spa, waterfall, Hayward Super 2 1.5 HP 2 speed, Hayward 48 ft2 Pro Grid DE, Goldline PS-8 automation system, Goldline T-15 Salt Cell, Raypak 337k BTU LowNox Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Los Angeles, Ca
    The air switch should be pretty easy to fix.

My spa air switches were broken for years, then I finally got motivated, went to the hardware store, and found the right size tubing to fix it with. Was easy to fix, once I decided to do it.

20,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 266k BTU Lo Nox gas heater, Purex 2048 48 sq ft DE filter, 1.5hp pump. iWave wireless remote, Pulsafeeder chlorine pump, Safety cover on most of the time

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Teledyne heater

3. Back To Top    #3
    I would go with the ps8 in case you decide to add a heater, solar, low voltage yard lighting, pressure side cleaner w/ booster pump,etc. It's better to have extra relays than not enough for future expansion.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I have the Goldline control box. (can't remember which one right now but it is in my siggy, I am sure it is not very fancy). I run my pool lights (2 LED colorlogics), booster pump for polaris, filter, heat pump, 2 sets of extra outlets at the far end of the pool, and have another one available to add if we choose to. I have the remote also and control it from that usually.
    ~39,000 gallon True L, 43x28x18, Steel Wall, Vinyl Liner; 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated cleaner line with Polaris booster pump; Polaris 280
    Hayward Pro Series 300 pound Sand Filter, Hayward Heat Pump 116K BTU
    2 Hayward Colorlogic LED Lights; Diving Board, X-Stream Slide, 3 Polaris Mini Jets; Step and Leisure Bench in deep end (SwimOut)
    Aqua Rite SWCG with Aqua Plus Automation and Controls (Goldline); Aqua Pod Remote for Controls and Aqua Logic Base Station