I'm in the process of gathering bids for replastering, recoping and retiling my pool. The pool is slightly cracked in a couple of places. The pool is about 12 years old and my project is mostly to give a facelift to my back yard.
A couple of bids I've gotten have included "pozzolan" and "Pooltite Plus" additives. It's not a lot more money but am still wondering whether it's worth it. Reading online I've found that the pozzolans are supposed to
* Improves strength, durability
* Provides smoother finish
* Reduces permeability, efflorescence and cracking
Also, one company gave me an option of adding a quartz mixture to the plaster. He said the combination of the quartz and pozzolan is the same formulation as DiamondBrite. If so it seems kind of cheesy to me that he wouldn't have just quoted DiamondBrite. He said DiamondBrite only adds 15% more to the cost.
So here are my questions.
1. Is a pozzolan additive important?
2. Is "Pooltite Plus" a brand name of a pozzolan or something different altogether?
3. Does pozzolan + quartz = DiamondBrite?
4. I sort of like the white look of a pool. He said most people choose a blue hue for the quartz. If you want your pool to look white is the quartz a waste of money? Or will it still have a prettier look to it? And does it add to the strength/durability of the finish?
Any response is greatly appreciated.
BTW...I live in Dallas, TX if that matters.